Raypack 206a water heater explosion

Jpm130

Jun 18, 2023
Chicago
Hi everyone,

Have a worrysome symptom going on with the heater( Raypack 206A natural gas). When the heater is activated, the pr-blower comes on, the gas valve opens and the unit ignites normal. Later when the unit goes into another heat cycle, I hear a bif wooosh (small expolsion) and a short burst of flame from the bottoms. It seems like there is too much gas in the area when the heat element fires. Looking for some help.

I have recently replaced the burner tray, blew all the burners out with air and have checked to make sure all gas connections are not leaking. All rust and debris has been removed, I even removed the back panel after multiple explosions , to make sure it was well ventilated.

I believe the heater was installed in 2016.

See attached.70690827867__8B0046F4-F0A7-459D-B93C-52720B3474F2.jpeg

Thanks,

There was a similar thread recently of someone having explosive gas at startup. In that case it was a propane unit (I believe) and the pilot tube was bad causing gas build up at the bottom. You should check that the pilot tube is not clogged or obstructed and possibly consider replacing it.

Reactions: Jpm130
Hi everyone,

Have a worrysome symptom going on with the heater( Raypack 206A natural gas). When the heater is activated, the pr-blower comes on, the gas valve opens and the unit ignites normal. Later when the unit goes into another heat cycle, I hear a bif wooosh (small expolsion) and a short burst of flame from the bottoms. It seems like there is too much gas in the area when the heat element fires. Looking for some help.

I have recently replaced the burner tray, blew all the burners out with air and have checked to make sure all gas connections are not leaking. All rust and debris has been removed, I even removed the back panel after multiple explosions , to make sure it was well ventilated.

I believe the heater was installed in 2016.

See attached.View attachment 505168

Thanks,
You could have spider nests in the burner orifices on the right of the manifold, right at the ignition source (pilot). This would allow gas to build in the combustion box from open orifices until it hits the pilot, then BOOM. I clean at least 3 heaters a year that have that issue. Unfortunately, on a RayPak the burner tray has to be removed to get to the orifices. If you don't winterize your pool, fire the heater at least once a month to keep the spiders at bay.

Reactions: JoyfulNoise
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.