amymeme

Jun 10, 2008
Finger Lakes, NY
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Finally got the winter cover emptied of copious amounts of rain, snow melt, removed and wow! Pool water cleaner than I've ever seen it. Water was so clear, I only put a gallon of 12.5% liquid chlorine in at dusk. Checked my chlorine the next day around noon (we sleep late🙄). Measured 5 . Surprised. Before bed, I added 2 quarts of same. Next day, around 10 AM, again measured 5. Now, usually, CYA is gone every spring but checked because these numbers weren't making sense for first opening. Water is very cold started at 56⁰, now up to 62⁰. CYA negligible at best. That evening added a quart. Next day around noon, Cl is 4. Suspicious I order refills on my Taylor FAS-DPD thinking maybe the OTO was measuring chloramines. Nope. All chlorine measured is free. Did another CYA test but brought the water in house, kept the sample clutched in my hand to warm. Still reading negligible CYA. Skipped a night on Cl addition. Today, still 3 on free chlorine.

My usual routine is to shock on opening with 12.5% liquid than use TRICHLOR in the chlorinator until my CYA reads 30-40 than switch to 12.5% for the rest of the summer. It is now time to start running the pump/filter and am wondering if I should say the TRICHLOR to bring up CYA or not. Weather here has been 60s/70s days, cooler at night, showery/start rain with intermittent bouts of sun. Pool these days, with trees growing, now in sun maybe 10 to 4.pool temp only 62⁰ mid afternoon. On the past o have add enormous algae problems so I've been aggressive with Cl and a bit on the low side for CYA. PH running 7.6 -7.8. TA, was usual, 200 ish ( well water fill.)

So. Question. Wait on the TRICHLOR for CYA or get it over with because once it warms up and gets sunny, I will need it?

Get the CYA into the pool ASAP.

Where are you located?

Add your location to your Profile so it appears
<<----here

Reactions: Mdragger88
Buy a bucket of stabilizer, use Pool Math to figure out how much you need and get the CYA up. It's true you are getting correct chlorine readings when the sun isn't hitting the pool (dusk to dawn) but once it does your chlorine is crashing. I'm new to using a SWG and I bought 4 gallons of 12.5% LC mid May to open; only needed 1 gallon. Between the solar cover and the high CYA, my FC is lasting forever and I still have about 1 1/2 gallons of LC left.

I have a huge pail of TRICHLOR tabs. I find that 1-2 weeks running pump with chlorinator gets the CYA up where i want it. And I don't have to go to the hassle of dissolving CYA etc. I just don't understand why my chlorine levels have stayed so optimal for almost a week with almost minimal loss. Almost no loss overnight and when I test again in the evening to figure out how much I need to add I still have anywhere from 1-3 (I have pool math app on my phone). And then skipping a night and still being 3. And each day, the pool water is clear. To me, it's acting like there's CYA in there that's just not being measured because of cold water... Not gonna complain, this has been, knock on wood, the most hassle free pool opening ever in 36 years. Mostly I just don't want to overshoot on CYA . I have a 2 oz bottle of Taylor reagent, and more is readily available so I'll just test frequently til it's what I want. Also, the liner was new last year so maybe there's nothing embedded too cause algae. Who knows, possible totally academic problem with no practical significance. I tend to do that - husband calls it mental masturbation and I'm a master 🙄

I thought I did on the second sample but I may have been impatient. I'll bring one in tonight and let it sit for an hour or two. House temp is currently 75⁰. Will go down as it gets dark. So maybe on top of the fridge.

Last edited:
Just got the pump/filter going. Cover came off last 5 days ago. Normally I have it going immediately but the pool looked good, the weather wasn't and life kept getting in the way. Possibly vacuuming tomorrow morning but thunderstorms forecast. Have an aversion to long aluminum pole in water during thunderstorms😜

Would be very nice if every year went like this. And the rest of the summer stayed like this. Without the dead, bleached out worms on the bottom.20230624_200215.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.