San Diego County
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Howdy! I have the old school Easy Touch automation (converted from Compool) inside of a metal control panel box.

I don’t want to waste $500 on the terrible Pentair wifi/app, and instead I want to try running this amazing Nodejs-pool controller project I just learned about on a Raspberry Pi.

I need to mount the Pi outside near the equipment, but I would love advice on how to do it while maintaining wifi connectivity.

I think easiest place to store the Pi would be in the metal box, but that would obviously kill the wifi signal and I’d have to figure out some externally mounted antenna? Anyone done this?

Or should I just buy a plastic junction box and keep it separate from the metal automation box? Any recommendations here?

Excited to try out this project and thankful to the community for all the great documentation!

Howdy! I have the old school Easy Touch automation (converted from Compool) inside of a metal control panel box.

I don’t want to waste $500 on the terrible Pentair wifi/app, and instead I want to try running this amazing Nodejs-pool controller project I just learned about on a Raspberry Pi.

I need to mount the Pi outside near the equipment, but I would love advice on how to do it while maintaining wifi connectivity.

I think easiest place to store the Pi would be in the metal box, but that would obviously kill the wifi signal and I’d have to figure out some externally mounted antenna? Anyone done this?

Or should I just buy a plastic junction box and keep it separate from the metal automation box? Any recommendations here?

Excited to try out this project and thankful to the community for all the great documentation!
If your Pi has the option for an external antenna, that would certainly work as long as it could be weather sealed. The antennas aren’t anything special internally. Or use a plastic box.

There are several sources for plastic weatherproof enclosures on Amazon.
I have a wifi node & a powerline adapter in one mounted to the side of my deck & its done very well despite being in full weather (sun/rain/heat/cold) all the time. The signal goes 100ft no problem.
Its this one - they make lots of sizes
SatelliteSale Weatherproof Junction Box Heavy Duty Enclosure 9x9x4 Inches UV-Rated Thermoplastic Alloy Amazon.com

I have a couple of these, one for my pool and another for the spa
orbit outdoor timer box

Over the years, I've had to replace the outlets, and the latches broke so now I use a wire to a screw to hold them closed.

The advantage is obviously the outlet makes it easy to provide power. Its not obvious in the pics, but there is a small area behind the outlet is separated by a plastic wall from the rest of the box.
So your high voltage, 115V wires are kept away from everything else.

Then get a little USB power plug, but get one that has the output to a right angle, otherwise the USB cable may come out too far, and either you can't close the door, or if you do you'll put strain on the cable.

Randy

Yeah that’s what I’m thinking but just trying to weigh that against a separate external enclosure. Thoughts?

For me it would come down to size. Is there enough room in the box that will house the RP for fans and cooling circulation to work?

Another option is to get an USB wifi dongle for the pi. Then get a short USB extension cable so you can locate the wifi dongle outside your metal control box. You can stick the dongle in a little plastic box and add sealant around the cabling to make it waterproof.

Also, you're not supposed to mess with a pi's wifi antenna. You invalidate the FCC license for it when you do that. Found that advice in a quick google search.

Randy

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.