random questions about SLAM

Maresa

Aug 28, 2014
Haverhill, Mass
I been slamming my pool for the last couple of days because of chlorine loss. (Pool is clear and CC is .5) Today I have to be gone most of the day. Can I use my SWG to keep the level up somewhat so that the FC doesn't drop too much?

I have been testing at night around 6 (weather is very cloudy) and 6 in morning. At 6 last night my FC was 22 and at 6 this morning it was also 22. BUT I also tested last night at 8 and the FC was 25! This is not the first time this has happened... that the FC rose up several points without me doing anything! Do I have a problem with my chemicals or my testing? I was going to ask this rising chlorine question later anyways, but now it matters.

Another random question...you are supposed to balance water before SLAM, but when SLAM takes a long time my water (at least my pH) will definitely go out of balance. Anything you can do about it?

Thanks so much as always.

Yes, you can let the SWG run a bit if you feel it will help "slow" the drop rate of FC since you're away so much. Just do so with the understanding the SWG isn't designed to maintain that elevated SLAM level. We try to not work SWG cells so hard. As for the FC increase, it was either from a testing error, water didn't mix well enough at one test, or perhaps one batch of bleach was stronger than the other? But if you had the SWG on that could explain it as well. Lastly, the pH is the only thing we are worried about before the SLAM. If you lowered it to 7.2 before starting, you should be fine for several days to a week or more. But if the SLAM takes longer than a couple weeks, you might want to let the FC fall to 10 just longer enough to test/adjust the pH one more time, then go back to the SLAM level.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.