Random dark spots in Plaster

JarCar

Mar 23, 2017
Katy, TX
Hey guys, had a question about these random dark spots showing up in my plaster. I've. Priced probably about 6 of them in my pool / hot tub.

I've been having issues with high calcium levels (~500ppm) so wondering if it could be meta stains. Other water Params as of this morning (just had a pool party yesterday):

I also drained about 4inches of water today to see if I can start seeing a decrease in calcium levels.

FC - 6.5
CC - 0
pH - 7.4
TA - 95
CYA - 60
TH - 500

CYA will likely drop after today because of the water change.

Any ideas?
ab9cd9090521347de307ae244035c0bd.jpg
fe9fd6be060a8dd4bd99835ef9ad31c9.jpg

Pretty sure it's algae. I think your fc is to low for your cya. Hold on ill check.

- - - Updated - - -

Pretty sure it's algae. I think your fc is to low for your cya. Hold on ill check. Actually 5 fc is the lowest. Have you dipped under 5 lately?

Chlorine puck didn't work. I tried soaking a sponge full of acid and that seems to be diminishing it a bit.

You can try putting some Vitamin C in a sock and holding against it. Safer than using acid. If it clears, it is a metal stain.

Did a nail or screw or some other stray metal get in the pool?

Yes, the pills. Take a handful and place in a sock. Mush them up a bit. Hold against the stain for a few minutes. If it clears it, the stain is metal.

Hate to bring it up, but could it be rebar close to the surface of the plaster?

Take care.

Just following up on this post. My pool contractor had the manufacturer of the plaster come out to take a look at the stains (now probably 15 - 20). NPT stated (right away) that these are copper stains, however they were caused by poor application of the plaster. Their statement was:

1. When the plaster was mixed, the water mixed with plaster should have been filtered to remove any potential metals (apparently in Houston area copper and manganese are high). Also, when the pool is filled for the first time, a similar hose adapted filter should be used.

2. If the filter is not used, when the pool is started up (in this case an acid hot bath start up) the copper is drawn to the surface of the pool and will randomly show up as darkened green stains. These are not removable as they are in the plaster.

The fix (as recommended by the manufacturer) was to chip out the plaster and redo it :mad: Note, the pool was built in March and NPT said the spots could get worse, or I wont see another one, but the existing spots will not go away.

I was so saddened to hear it, but if it gets it fixed :shrug:

Thoughts?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just following up on this post. My pool contractor had the manufacturer of the plaster come out to take a look at the stains (now probably 15 - 20). NPT stated (right away) that these are copper stains, however they were caused by poor application of the plaster. Their statement was:

1. When the plaster was mixed, the water mixed with plaster should have been filtered to remove any potential metals (apparently in Houston area copper and manganese are high). Also, when the pool is filled for the first time, a similar hose adapted filter should be used.

2. If the filter is not used, when the pool is started up (in this case an acid hot bath start up) the copper is drawn to the surface of the pool and will randomly show up as darkened green stains. These are not removable as they are in the plaster.

The fix (as recommended by the manufacturer) was to chip out the plaster and redo it :mad: Note, the pool was built in March and NPT said the spots could get worse, or I wont see another one, but the existing spots will not go away.

I was so saddened to hear it, but if it gets it fixed 🤷

Thoughts?
Im starting to see two dark spots and Im afraid. What happened to your issue???

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.