Raised Wall Functionality & Popularity

Jun 22, 2016
FL
Over the months of being a member, Ive noticed so many in ground gunite/shotcrete pools with the rear/backside wall raised (with shear descents, scuppers, landscaping, etc.). We dont see that much here in South Florida, most pools just have additional decking, ground level landscape, or grass on the backside without the raised wall. Is this just a style and feature/accent, or is there functionality to it as well? We have a spa designed on the backside of our pool, perhaps it is a similar design concept? Just trying to learn if there is something else to the walls structurally or functionally, or is this just design preference?

Mainly design preference from what I understand. But it can have function depending on the site.

Many people put pools in tight spots, so if the rear of the pool isn't wide enough for decking / close to property line. A raised wall will give you a nice backdrop to your pool instead of your fence or whatever is behind it.

It also helps with elevation changes. If you carved into a hillside for the pool the raised wall can also act as a retaining wall.

For me, my pool is four feet from my back wall. I wanted a planter, but not where the dirt would get into the pool due to proximity and frankly putting decking in such a small area was a waste. So by raising the rear, I create depth, level change, waterfalls and a nice raised planter. Just might be used for cannonballs too ...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.