ryco78

Jan 22, 2023
Knoxville, TN
Hi all! My family has been a lifelong above ground pool owner. We began in the early 90's with a round aboveground and enjoyed the many, many seasons that we had that 'ol thing!

Then, roughly 6 years ago, as a retirement gift to herself, my mother had the original pool removed and we replaced it with a 16'x28' oval Radiant Metric pool. It was installed by the local pool supplier that we've used since the 90's. The pool is installed nearly completely in-ground on one side and is completed exposed on the other. We have enjoyed hours of fun with the new grandkids, neighborhood families, etc.

Tragically, on July 5, 2022, our area (Knoxville, TN) experienced a terrible storm and a tree in the backyard fell onto the surrounding decking and a large limb crushed one of the panels that is on the exposed side of the pool. Needless to say, the water drained out of the pool and it's now completely inoperable. Homeowners Insurance is willing to cover the repair cost of the pool but we needed to locate the parts and an installer. Sadly, our trusted pool supplier/installer no longer does anything with an above ground pool, and refuses to even help get in touch with anyone else who might be able to help. We were told "too bad, we don't service Radiant pools anymore and we don't carry them. Good luck."

After months of speaking with Radiant pools corporate office, we kept getting referred back to the installer. No luck there--they are in New York and only deal directly with dealers. After asking around at every pool supply company around our area, nobody had ever heard of a Radiant pool.

Fast forward, it's now January, and we luckily found a company in the north east that has gotten us a quote on the replacement liner, wall panels, and coping! However, we need help finding an installer to remove the crushed panels (2), install the two new panels, liner, and replace the coping. We are even willing to pay mileage and accommodations if someone can help!

If anyone has any suggestions, I would be forever grateful! Please help Grandma fix her pool so she can enjoy several more years of swimming with the grandkids!

Thank you in advance!!

Damaged Panel, Liner, and Coping.jpg

Entire Pool.jpgEye Level of Panel.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The panels, stabilizer bars/splines , & coping are fairly easy to diy so with the instructions & some you tube videos, any experienced pool pro or handy person should have no problem accomplishing this. Since the other side is buried you may need to create some temporary braces for between the panels to prevent things from shifting while you work. If there was a concrete mix (slurry) poured there before backfilling there’s less worry about that.
Once the pool is drained you no longer have the support of the water holding back the earth on the buried side - just the integrity of the pool wall as a whole.
The liner is pretty simple too - its just a beaded liner. Someone who installs liners regularly should have no issues. They don’t need to be a radiant installer.
If it were me I’d probably replace the panels, stabilizer rails, & coping myself then just hire someone for the liner since it’s a large pool & you want to be sure it’s orientation is correct & have a smooth, wrinkle free finish.
If diy isn’t your thing I did find these guys about 2hrs from you. You may want to give them a call & see if they will travel a little bit. Since insurance is footing the bill they may be willing or possibly point you to someone else.

Reactions: Newdude
It's been 10 months since the tree fell on our pool. We have called nearly every pool dealer within 200 miles. Each time we find someone who says they'd be willing, the either stop responding or bail out. We just need that single 4-foot curved section replaced. Any other ideas on where we can purchase that one panel? I hate to have to tear down the entire pool and decking over a single wall panel... Insurance is going to pay and is willing to fly someone in to do the labor, or even order the panel! Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Consumers are unable to speak with anyone at Radiant directly. Every phone call prompts you to leave a voicemail with your email address. The email replies always say to contact a local dealer. My local dealer quit selling Radiant and refuses to even look at it for us. I found a dealer in Cookeville, TN, but they said they had such trouble with Radiant that they no longer sell them. I finally found a dealer out of state that said they could order parts and ship to us via freight but then later said their territory restrictions from Radiant forbid servicing customers outside of their local area. I’m truly stuck between a rock and a hard place. Insurance is willing to pay for repairs and parts…but I have to locate someone. It’s becoming very disheartening as the pool was in perfect condition until that storm. One 4’ wall and a new liner is all we need. I can get the liner from other vendors and locally installed. I just need that 52” tall 4’ long, insulated wall….

I finally found a dealer out of state that said they could order parts and ship to us via freight but then later said their territory restrictions from Radiant forbid servicing customers outside of their local area
How far out of state ? Day trip, weekend side quest, or cannonball run ?

Reactions: Mdragger88
Sounds like it’s time to let it rip on the Facebook. Unfortunately sometimes calling a company out on social media is the only way to get the ball rolling these days.
There’s also radiant pool groups
DE3DB4F8-CFD6-44A1-911C-AF77AF578319.jpeg
I would seriously treat it like my job to continue contacting them every way possible. They need to know you’re unhappy & aren’t going away until it’s resolved.
I had to do this with a large chain jeweler who was repairing my jewelry(wedding rings) - they were done & supposed to be returned to me on like a Friday but then the stores all shut down for covid two days prior to my scheduled pick up date. It took me several months (6+) to finally get them. A rep pm’d me on Facebook after I commented on one of the company’s posts & finally got it sorted out. I had only been bounced around before that. No one was even sure who actually had my jewelry!

Taking a trip to pick the parts up is a very viable option if they will let you.
If you don’t get any traction with those methods you may need to try & have the pool declared a total loss - as thats what it currently is & either just get the whole pool replaced or do away with it entirely & keep the check.

Sounds like it’s time to let it rip on the Facebook. Unfortunately sometimes calling a company out on social media is the only way to get the ball rolling these days.
oooh oooh oooh, I'd volunteer to write the post!!!!

Pick Me Jimmy Fallon GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.