SE Michigan
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
We just got quoted for a winter cover for our 14x28 rectangle fiberglass pool. We do have a rock feature on one side, but it does not extend over the coping.

We had originally wanted to get a solid cover, but our PB is pushing for a mesh cover. I'm really not sure which one would be better in our situation. We live in Michigan, so we see a fair bit of snow, but we do not have too many trees in the area that dump leaves/debris in the winter.

That being said, we had a company quote us on a cover, and installation. I believe they use Latham for their covers. These are the numbers we got:

5000m - $2500 + tax
7000m - $2850 + tax
9000mx - $3200 + tax.

Those are just for the cover, installation is another $800.

This seems like a really high number to me, I searched around and was able to find comparable sized covers (LoopLoc for example) for less than $1500. Are Latham covers really worth it? Or is my PB just taking me for a ride here?

Any recommendations for a good cover that is priced a little better?

Last edited:
We just got quoted for a winter cover for our 14x18 rectangle fiberglass pool. We do have a rock feature on one side, but it does not extend over the coping.

We had originally wanted to get a solid cover, but our PB is pushing for a mesh cover. I'm really not sure which one would be better in our situation. We live in Michigan, so we see a fair bit of snow, but we do not have too many trees in the area that dump leaves/debris in the winter.

That being said, we had a company quote us on a cover, and installation. I believe they use Latham for their covers. These are the numbers we got:

5000m - $2500 + tax
7000m - $2850 + tax
9000mx - $3200 + tax.

Those are just for the cover, installation is another $800.

This seems like a really high number to me, I searched around and was able to find comparable sized covers (LoopLoc for example) for less than $1500. Are Latham covers really worth it? Or is my PB just taking me for a ride here?

Any recommendations for a good cover that is priced a little better?
Looploc has been the “Cadillac” brand for a while. Check into details on each cover to make sure you’re comparing apples to apples.

Reactions: laszlof and kimkats
Looploc has been the “Cadillac” brand for a while. Check into details on each cover to make sure you’re comparing apples to apples.
That's the thing, if looploc is the Cadillac of covers. How can Latham be twice as expensive? Of course, they don't sell covers retail.

I'm going to shop around. 3 grand for a mesh cover just seems excessive for the size we need.

That's the thing, if looploc is the Cadillac of covers. How can Latham be twice as expensive? Of course, they don't sell covers retail.

I'm going to shop around. 3 grand for a mesh cover just seems excessive for the size we need.
Latham probably isnt really twice as expensive…I’m guessing there’s something not included with the Looploc that the Latham is. Of course, your installer may be up charging it as well.

My pool is custom shaped and the Looploc cover quote I got was about $4k. $1500 for a pool safety cover is surprisingly cheap.

My 20x40 looploc dense mesh (medium grade) was $3200 installed last year for comparison. It was a stock cover that they modified a little with extra padding for the side stairs. A true custom cover or a solid cover would have been even more.

Going with gray was a 10% upcharge

Screenshot_20231212_061812_Gallery.jpg

Doheny’s & multiple manufacturers (on amazon) sell mesh & solid safety covers that you can diy but 14x18 is not a standard stock size which is the trouble.
You may try contacting meyco.

Doheny’s & multiple manufacturers (on amazon) sell mesh & solid safety covers that you can diy but 14x18 is not a standard stock size which is the trouble.
You may try contacting meyco.
Was a typo. Should have been 14x28, which I believe is a standard size.

My 20x40 looploc dense mesh (medium grade) was $3200 installed last year for comparison. It was a stock cover that they modified a little with extra padding for the side stairs. A true custom cover or a solid cover would have been even more.

Going with gray was a 10% upcharge

View attachment 544265
That's reasonable, and way bigger than my pool.

Some folks here have also had a good experience with pool covers direct both diy & paying someone to install

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Having refreshed my memory with your media pics, a stock cover should be fine if you can find the right one/brand

Screenshot_20231212_092812_Chrome.jpg

@Bill1974 did his himself and has been around so will hopefully chime in soon. Have a read in the meantime. :)

Reactions: Mdragger88
*also shameless plug for the greater TFP community. Not a day goes by that they don't come in handy. Pretty much no matter what you're up against, somebody already figured it out, like Bill above, and will help you make your best moves.

:lovetfp:

I got a Yardguard bloc mesh 99 cover, $1600 for the cover and all the hardware. I installed it myself. It's for a 20 x 40 pool with exterior steps. Install was pretty easy. I used a SRS-Plus rotary hammer with a core bit to go though the paver cleanly, then i used a standard bit to go into/through the concrete slab under the pavers. Used a shopvac to clean up. Hammered in the anchors, all but one went it find. One the brass threaded portion pushed into the stainless tube. I just hammered to tube in without using the anchor setting tool that was provided. The anchor setting tool is aluminum and mushroomed a good bit over the entire install, but held out. I am guessing I could have tried to make the holes a little larger, but I wanted the anchor to not settle. The slab is 4 to 10+ inches thick. Was a bit worried drilling in the area of the return lines, but did not hit any (I am pretty sure they are deep enough to not be a concern, but I don't recall how deep I put them other than they were about the same depth as they cover though the pool wall. Pump was on when I was drilling so if I hit any line I would have known.

Shop around online, the price does vary from place to place. Seems well made. Made in the USA. Hardware is brass and stainless (not the greatest corrosion resistant stainless, but probably decent, it's somewhat magnetic. Generally the more corrosion resistant the less magnetic).

I got it from Safety Pool Covers

I have no idea how it will perform or hold up, I have used water bags and tarp up till now.
Update: so far it's doing well, I have had to tighten the straps once, but I did not have they as tight as they should have been to start with. But there was a little of stretching. The cover is a dense enough mesh that water will pool on it to some degree. Not having to clean leave off of a tarp type cover is so nice. After I got it installed I took it off to use the pool a couple times, pretty easy for one person, two people would be really easy. Since I have narrow steps the reinforcement in the cover is not in the ideal location for a standard cover. I have a couple sheets of dense closed celled foam padding to help midigate any wear issues.

Any questions give them a call, answered all my questions and were easy to deal with.

This is a few weeks ago before I tightened the straps.
1702393495941.png

Having refreshed my memory with your media pics, a stock cover should be fine if you can find the right one/brand

@Bill1974 did his himself and has been around so will hopefully chime in soon. Have a read in the meantime. :)
Yeah, its just a rectangle pool. There is a rock grotto on the back, but I'm pretty sure I can make it work with a standard non-custom cover. Just wont be able to fully attach at the back. See updated pic below

PXL_20231115_194933715.jpg

Reactions: Newdude
Thats for all the info everyone!

After researching a bit, I'm just going to source my own cover and install it myself. I've drilled concrete before and understand the process for doing it properly.

That being said, I'm probably going to wait till next year. Its Dang cold here and I really dont want to be out there drilling holes right now. I'm probably just going to buy the cover and get some water bags to hold it in place until opening next year.

Thats for all the info everyone!

After researching a bit, I'm just going to source my own cover and install it myself. I've drilled concrete before and understand the process for doing it properly.

That being said, I'm probably going to wait till next year. Its Dang cold here and I really dont want to be out there drilling holes right now. I'm probably just going to buy the cover and get some water bags to hold it in place until opening next year.
If the leafiness has passed you may just want to go coverless this year if you’re not going to install the anchors.
The tarp style covers that are held in place with water bags are generally a bit bigger dimensions than the safety covers since the safety covers are designed to be held in place via tension. I would hate for your new cover to end up in the pool during the first winter storm.

Reactions: Newdude and Bperry
Ideally I woud suggest a custom one just to get anchor on the grotto side. But that's easy to suggest when it's not my money.

You will likely only have three anchor points on the grotto side. The anchors are usually set 18-20" or so from the edge of the pool. The cover overlaps the coping a foot or so. Maybe the grotto opening is wide enough to get three anchors. You could probably get details from the cover mfgs to see where the anchors are going land on standard covers and see which ones would work best for you.

If the leafiness has passed you may just want to go coverless this year if you’re not going to install the anchors.
The tarp style covers that are held in place with water bags are generally a bit bigger dimensions than the safety covers since the safety covers are designed to be held in place via tension. I would hate for your new cover to end up in the pool during the first winter storm.
Hmm, good call. I hadn't thought of that. We have dogs, but they tend to avoid the pool anyways. My only concern there is if it freezes and we get a ton of snow, it may not be immediately obvious where the edges of the pool are. Though if its that cold, the ice is probably thick enough that my sub-20lb dogs wont have to worry about falling through.

Any other downside to going coverless?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.