Quick way to dissolve granular CYA in pool

singerteacher

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 2, 2008
western Wisconsin
I may have stumbled across a fast way to dissolve granular CYA.

Long story short: New pool liner, needed to add 3 pounds of granular CYA. I put about half that amount in a sock (being conservative), and hung it in the pool water near the shallow end return. At first, lots of powered CYA came out when I squeezed the sock, then nothing. Thinking there might be a better place for the sock, I took it out of the water and left it in the sun for about a hour (while I read TFP).

When I came back outside, I decided to put the wet sock filled with wet CYA granules in the skimmer. When I did, TONS more powdered CYA dispersed into the water! So much so that I decided to hold the sock with my hand, in front of the shallow end return, and see how much powdered CYA would disperse. Well, the whole thing dissolved, almost instantly! I was thrilled. I checked the pool later on in the day, noticed there was a little CYA powder on the bottom, but not much, so I brushed it into the floor returns. I checked again a couple hours later, but there was no CYA powder that time. I decided to test again in the morning to see if more CYA was needed.

In the morning, I checked the pool and didn't notice any powder on the bottom. I tested my water, and found that I did need to add the rest of the CYA. So, I put the remaining CYA in a sock, this time trying to tie the sock over the deep end return. When I first dropped it in the water, powder came out, but not much. However, I again had a hard time getting my "suspend the sock" apparatus to work, and so the wet sock filled with wet CYA granules again sat in the sun for about a hour. When I finally had my apparatus ready, I dropped the sock in front of the deep end return, and the same thing happened: the entire contents began dissolving into powder! A few squeezes in front of the return, and it was completely dispersed.

About a half hour later, I swept a small amount of CYA powder on the bottom into the floor drains. I will be sweeping another few times today to make sure I'm not leaving any CYA on my new vinyl liner!

If I were to create a method for this:

1) Put granular CYA in a sock.
2) Put the sock and CYA in front of a return, and squeeze any powder out.
3) Take the sock out of the pool, and leave in the sun for an hour.
4) Put the sock back in front of a return, and squeeze to disperse all the powdered CYA.
5) After 1/2 hour, brush any powdered CYA on your pool floor into the floor drains.
6) 2 hours later, brush again.
7) Brush again the next morning.

So, experts: Is this an okay thing to do? Any potential problems?

I've been able to dissolve several pounds in a sock fairly quickly (hour or so?) just by squeezing the sock both in front of a return as well as while I floated around on a noodle in the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.