May 24, 2023
Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
👋
I’m in the process of converting to chlorine from baquacil and I’m trying to keep the FC up to 15 but it’s taking a LOT of chlorine. I know that is expected but as the pile of empty bottles grows I’m wondering if the conversion is ever going to happen. I’ve not seen any “goo”. I did clean out the filter (cartridge) and it did seem to have some residue but nothing like I’ve seen people describe.
Also, should I recheck the ph at any point? If I started out with it in the recommended range will it hold?
Earlier today it looked like the FC was better but as soon as the sun hit it it was gone.

I see you only started a day or so ago. It may be a little early to do an oclt but maybe not! Give it a shot.
Not yet. Other than the first thing in the morning and the FC was close to zero. So I guess that’s a yes?
I’ll try doing more adding during the darker hours.
This morning before the sun hit the pool the level was better. Only needed to add 48oz whereas I normally need to add over 128. Seems like progress.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Not yet. Other than the first thing in the morning and the FC was close to zero. So I guess that’s a yes?
I’ll try doing more adding during the darker hours.
This morning before the sun hit the pool the level was better. Only needed to add 48oz whereas I normally need to add over 128. Seems like progress.
And I actually started before that. I didn’t have the test kit yet but I used the Pool Math to calculate how much to put in when the test strips I had were showing zero. I just wasn’t dosing as frequently as I have been for the last couple of days.

Reactions: Mdragger88
When was the last time you added cdx? Did you swap any water before beginning the conversion?
I added CDX several weeks ago. Not sure exactly when.
I flocced it and vacuumed to waste to get the algae out. I vacuumed to waste twice so changed out some water both times. Total amount approx 25% tops. Was trying to avoid draining the pool.

That could certainly impact progress. Backwashes should help to reduce that level a bit over time. Do your best to maintain the FC of 15. Good luck.
I’m starting to think I need to drain a bunch of the water. I can’t maintain FC 15 with the sun out. Goes down to 0 in no time. I can keep the level up at night but not during the day. I’ve been at this for about a week. Couldn’t accurately test until 3 days ago but started adding chlorine last weekend. I just really was hoping not to waste the water, but it’s that or a lot more chlorine. 🤷‍♀️
Backwash with a cartridge filter meaning hosing it down? No other option.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.