Questions about shocking, FC levels and other related

How often do you folks test your water? And are you resting for all parameters each time or focus on fc? Etc

Reactions: Splaker
I just tested my FC and it was nearly nil. I haven't been home much due to work/family obligations (one of the frustrating things about trying to commit to a consistent pool maintenance schedule). We've had several days of sun and the kids have been swimming the past 2 days. I didn't have liquid chlorine on had so I dissolved some of the leftover "shock granules" (2 x 454 gram packs) in warm water and poured it down the skimmer. I know it's not exactly following the "pool math" but I wanted to get some chlorine into the system before things got out of hand again with a bloom. I will get my hands on the liquid for next time. Darn store I patronize closes early.

Anyhow, is a drop in chlorine levels to near nil normal after a couple of weeks? Should I do another overnight chlorine loss test to ensure nothing is awry?

Thanks

Your pool will burn up between 2-5 FC per day and you are probably on the high end of the scale with it being sunny and lots of swimmers.

Reading back through your post, you were at 8.5 exactly a week ago so I'm guessing you have been at 0 for a few days.

Good job at getting chlorine in the pool. I would still do another OCLT to make sure algae is not present and obviously test and add chlorine much more often going forward.

Reactions: Splaker
You must add chlorine daily. Or get a SWCG.
Okay, I figured I'd have to add it frequently (I'll follow the pool math parameters) - The water clarity had been excellent.. very clear, sparkling, so I don't think anything is too out of whack. Tomorrow I will get a good supply of the liquid chlorine.

I'll also check the PH and TA which I haven't done in a week.. CYA I believe doesn't require testing based on that schedule you posted... No water changes have occurred.

Reactions: mknauss
Your pool will burn up between 2-5 FC per day and you are probably on the high end of the scale with it being sunny and lots of swimmers.

Reading back through your post, you were at 8.5 exactly a week ago so I'm guessing you have been at 0 for a few days.

Good job at getting chlorine in the pool. I would still do another OCLT to make sure algae is not present and obviously test and add chlorine much more often going forward.

I know - I need to test more.. I'm not making excuses but our lives are busy! Wish I had a bit more time. But I will make sure to set 15 min aside daily.. I'll have more time in July and August to stay on top.. but we are going away for 18 days in July.. Is there something I can do for extend absence? I'll have my father-in-law come by 2 to 3 times per week but I doubt he will test water.. he'll skim, backwash (if needed) and I'll get him to pour some chlorine (based on the2-5 FC per day) every few days. Anything else I could do to ensure it's not a mess when we get bacK?

Before you leave I would raise your FC to SLAM level and then get your father in law to add chlorine when he is there.

In addition to that you can also get a floating chlorine dispenser and add a few pucks in that. That’s not ideal as your CYA is already 50 and the pucks will add to that, but letting your FC fall below the minimus while you are gone is even less ideal.

Before you leave I would raise your FC to SLAM level and then get your father in law to add chlorine when he is there.

In addition to that you can also get a floating chlorine dispenser and add a few pucks in that. That’s not ideal as your CYA is already 50 and the pucks will add to that, but letting your FC fall below the minimus while you are gone is even less ideal.

What if I drain a substantial amount of water to get my CYA down?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.