Questions about readings

I checked again around 6pm last night and my FC was down to 3. It was sunny all day, what is the normal FC lose daily and especially if it's sunny.

Since I used the instant conditioner, should my CYA go up or will it still take about a week to register?

I think that grey stuff was the shock, I vacummed it up again and it hasn't came back.

I will hopefully be able to order the FAS-DPD kit with my next check, so that I can do the overnight test.

Thanks for all the help!!!

I found out what the grey stuff at the bottom of my pool was. It was the Conditioner I added.

The conditioner I was using was from Leslie's called the Instant Pool Water Conditioner. It looks like Elmer's glue when you pour it out. I guess I didn't pour it correctly or shake the bottle. Last night I added some more since my CYA was still low and as I was doing it, I noticed some of it hitting the water and sinking to the bottom. I didn't have time to do anything about it, but tonight I plan on brushing/vacuuming it up and if I use it again, add it straight to the skimmer. I won't be buying that again, I'll use the sock method with the granular.

Guess it's time to jump in with both feet.

I just became a Supporter and ordered:

http://www.tftestkits.net/index.php?act ... oductId=23

along with some reagents, my CYA reagent is low. Since I have a test kit from Leslie's, these reagents should work correct?

As a side note, something that would be useful in the pool school is something telling you how long to wait after adding chemicals to retest. I finally found it in another post, but it took me a while. If it's already there, can somebody point me in the right direction.

Thanks!

Thanks for the link. I think I have them pointed like duraleigh suggested, but have waves which counter what Davegvg says. I have a visible circular movement, but where it comes out of the jet, I have some waves, is that okay?

duraleigh
1. Point your eyeballs in a manner that will give a circular flow around the pool. This brings surface debris in front of the skimmers.

Davegvg
#1 cheapest- vary the 3 way valve. (not to a level that produces standing wave or harmonics)

As far as the testing, I'm just wanting to get the most accurate reading, so I might just wait an hour to be on the safe side.

Thanks

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
sgtdvldog said:
Another question, concerning my return jet. Where should it be pointed? Right now it is pointing a little up where it causes ripples on the top of the water.

I would recommend pointing them downward for now since your PH is at 7.8 (pointing returns upward to where it breaks the water can cause PH to rise).

mickey4paws said:
sgtdvldog said:
Another question, concerning my return jet. Where should it be pointed? Right now it is pointing a little up where it causes ripples on the top of the water.

I would recommend pointing them downward for now since your PH is at 7.8 (pointing returns upward to where it breaks the water can cause PH to rise).

the way I understand that is if it introduces air into the water, it will cause ph to rise. my returns cause big ripples on top of the water, but no air is actually introduced.

reebok said:
I think what I've seen is 30 mins before swimming but an hour before testing. the advice could vary or I may just be remembering it totally wrong.
What I usually see is: You want the pump on for an hour before testing, to make sure everything is circulating properly. You wait 30 mins after adding chems before retesting.

That may seem inconsistent but normally we recommend pouring chems in front of a return jet, so it will be distributed throughout the pool faster.
--paulr

I don't have the test kit to do the more accurate overnight test, but tonight I'm going to try using my regular kit. I should have the FAS kit in a couple days.

For anyone interested, here is a good link from Taylor describing how to "see colors".
http://www.taylortechnologies.com/Chemi ... ntentID=35

I went to Costco and got my bleach, only about $8 for 3 182 oz bottles!!! Did some math and it worked out to about $1.42 for a 96oz bottle.

I took my reading and then took out my floating faded Turtle with the pucks.

Here are my readings:

FC 5
TC 5
CC 0
PH 7.6
TA 80
CH 210 although the color was purplish. guess I got metal according to the link above
CYA ??? Didn't have quite enough to do another test. Have more coming with my FAS-DPD kit from tftestkits.net. Although I think it's around 35-40 from the last time I tested it was 35 and I have had the pucks in since.

I tested around 7:15am this morning:

FC 3
TC 3
CC 0

My test is off a little bit because my GF's kid and friend swam after the test and it rained last night as well.

My pool is crystal clear, so I'll have to test again when I get the FAS-DPD test kit.

I got busy and didn't have a chance to test yesterday. I was gone all day, but this morning I tested around 11:05am and my readings were:

FC 5
TC 5
CC 0
PH 7.4
TA 80
CH 200
CYA ???

I think I'm good according to the Calculator, can anyone see any problems with these readings?

Thanks for all the input!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.