Questions about cleaning spill-over spa

NicoleIvy2004

Aug 31, 2021
Tampa, Florida
Pool Size
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi! My inground pool and spill-over spa tends to get lots of debris in it so it needs vacuuming often. This is easy in the pool. Not so easy in the spa. After scanning some old posts, I saw one person mention that they put their pool into spa mode once in a while in order to activate the drain.

So the drain at the bottom of the spa doesn't do anything unless in spa mode? We thought it might be broken because of the dirt just hanging out on the floor near it. The spa function works but we just haven't used it lately.

Trying to use typical nets is a pain because they never work well with the circular curves of the spa. I have resorted to getting the hosing from the pool vac and snorkeling in the spa to vacuum it out. That's also a huge pain and really not something I want to do when it's cold out. I'm not going to heat the spa up just to comfortably get in an vac it out. lol

Are there better tools? Ideally not needing a water hose would be nice because it's a long distance from the hose bib--but not impossible if no other choice.

Do I do what the other TFP poster said in an old thread about simply turning it to spa mode?

Thanks!

So the drain at the bottom of the spa doesn't do anything unless in spa mode?

Correct.

In SPA mode water drains from the spa drains and returns back to the spa.

In POOL mode water drains from the pool skimmers and returns to the pool and maybe to the spa to spillover?

I have resorted to getting the hosing from the pool vac and snorkeling in the spa to vacuum it out. That's also a huge pain and really not something I want to do when it's cold out. I'm not going to heat the spa up just to comfortably get in an vac it out. lol

When I use the spa I will kick dirt in the corners towards the drains and use it as an opportunity to clean it.

Do I do what the other TFP poster said in an old thread about simply turning it to spa mode?

That is what I do. And brush the dirt towards the drains while in SPA mode. Brushing and filtering while in SPA mode should get most of it out.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.