Questions about a possible leak....#frustrated

I'll try that next. I know there is a leak. Neighbor has same size pool and hasn't added water all summer. I've added so much that the water company showed up thinking we had a pipe leaking because of how much water we're using

I'll try that next. I know there is a leak. Neighbor has same size pool and hasn't added water all summer. I've added so much that the water company showed up thinking we had a pipe leaking because of how much water we're using

My guess is you have a return side leak that is probably very minor at static pressure but increases when the pump is on and system pressures are higher. That would explain why you see substantial water loss when the pump is on. With your French drains all around the pool, there’s likely no obvious signs of the leak because the water is pulled away too quickly.

If you can confirm a return side leak then you might pay for a leak detection company to come in and help pin point the location. Then it’s up to your PB to dig and find the leaking pipe.

Dumb question but - was the plumbing system pressure tested before they backfilled everything?

Just a quick update. I have a pool company coming out next week to pressure test. That will tell all.
I'll post back with results.
I do think it was pressure tested but I suspect the fence company might have cut a line. Honestly, I'm hoping that is the case.
Pool builder has my back.

No other update other than more frustration.

Dug up the lines around the fence. No holes or problems.

The unreliable pool company never came out to do a pressure test. I'm told they will do one tomorrow - but they don't have a listening device so it'll only be a pass/fail.
Builder also has a scuba diver coming out tomorrow - despite the fact that the pool doesn't leak when everything is plugged.

He also admitted that he NEVER DID A PRESSURE TEST BEFORE POURING CONCRETE. He knows he is responsible for this but I'm so darn upset. Do I have any recourse? I still owe him the last payment of about $2,500. I won't plan on paying that.

Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself but....we have colored concrete and I can't see how they will match the color if they tear things up. It's not going to look right. Not to mention the mess of tearing up my yard....AGAIN.

I've been running the pump on 2750 rpm and lost about 3/4 inch in 24 hours. I don't normally run the pump that high. It seems to leak slower when the pump is running slower. But still leaks when pump is off....just much slower.

Had the pool pressure tested and the leak is confirmed in the return jet line. They determined the location and it seems to be exactly where a 3 way splitter is buried under the concrete. The builder is coming back this weekend to break up that section and replacing the part. I'm relieved and exhausted...look forward to the repair and getting the pool closed up for the winter.

Had the pool pressure tested and the leak is confirmed in the return jet line. They determined the location and it seems to be exactly where a 3 way splitter is buried under the concrete. The builder is coming back this weekend to break up that section and replacing the part. I'm relieved and exhausted...look forward to the repair and getting the pool closed up for the winter.

WOW...what an ordeal! Maybe you should suggest to your pool builder that he have his plumbing sub actually pressure test lines before burying them; it helps to avoid these kinds of problems.

Glad it's getting fixed. You'll have a much better time with the pool not leaking water (and money) down the drain.

It was a sliced flex pipe causing the leak. Fortunately it was only about 1ft down. No idea what caused it. Maybe was a small tear that got bigger throughout the season. Maybe it was there and not noticed by the builder. Maybe someone slipped with a shovel. No idea but it's getting fixed and I am very happy about that!
7c74427f27a5964e23b064c6a5b50661.jpg
158b09a67178365b55f1156a5bcb23b6.jpg

Was that gravel in the first picture around it??

PVC pipe (flex or solid) should never be buried in sharp gravel like that. The cyclical flexing and movement of a pipe as water flows through it will cause the gravel to dig into it. Pipe should be buried in fill sand or DG (decomposed granite) and then topped off with whatever landscaping material you want.

Yes, the gravel is around the pipe. I didn't like that either. This is the only area. The flex pipe around the pool is surrounded by sand (per my request). No sand where it rises up from the bottom and out toward pad.

Anyway, it's not torn from gravel rubbing. This is a clear slice. Maybe a shovel?

Maybe vandalism?

a0ef71c750d64b3cf93c7461e9a15cf5.jpg
b86af5a682a6a6d6b7c9c388a5bb4a42.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.