Question on Y/Mustard Shock duration

acegator25

Jun 30, 2019
Louisiana
Long time lurker and started using TFP methods religiously in 2019 with a fiber glass pool 13000gallon.

Never had a single bout of Algae, never even thought about using an algaecide, fast forward to last year we moved back to the country on a dirt road that is about 300ft from the pool, the road is limestone, and it is dry right now and dusty.

Above ground pool, 17000 gallons, I wanted something I could push down with my tractor when I am too old to maintain it. :)

Unlike previous years I was lazy and let my chlorine levels drop and had a mess on my hands, cya was 150 as again I was lazy and just loaded it up on pucks, I knew this would bite me later but we like to travel, so i drained /refilled and managed to get it to 30, went through my first slam and due to fighting with mustard algae last year with this above ground took it to mustard algea level in the chart at 18.2 , during the day it has been hot here in south Louisianan and I was losing a considerable amount of FC (pool is in full sun all day) so keeping it at 18.2 was very hard when I was losing 10fc in less than 3 hours sometimes, pool came out great but less than a week later the patches of mustard keep sprouting back up, i took the ladder out there are no lights etc during this process as I have done this many many times,

My question is should I have been more diligent and religiously kept chlorine levels at 18.2 for the entire 24hr duration? This will require an insane amount of bleach and I think I will have to test every hour; we live by a heavily wooded area and next to a swamp, sometimes I think I have ran into some type of mutant ultra resistant chlorine algea,

I use a tf-100 test kit.

Welcome to TFP!

If you are losing 10 FC in 3 hours it's difficult to believe that you passed the OCLT.

What makes you think you have mustard algae? You just refilled the pool and are fighting green algae. Mustard algae is diagnosed when algae consistently reappears despite consistent good chemistry. You admit that this was not the situation, so I'm confused what is indicating that it is mustard algae.

Would you mind posting a full set of current test results?

Yes sir I did pass the OCLT during the slam phase with less than 1ppm loss.

right now
FC: 12

pH: 7.6

TA: 75

CH: 120

CYA: 30

Why do I believe I have mustard algae? I get yellow spots all over the pool, I have brand new filter less than 14psi, I also change out a pool sock every day, you can brush them away and an hour or so later than form right back up and continue to spread and increase in size if I do not brush them again, if this was dust/dirt I could push it away and it would settle quickly, these are plumes,

I do kid you not as soon as sunlight hits this pool and it heats up my FC goes from 19-20+ to 12 in a matter of hours, I know cya is low but shoudl I be using this much FC when temps heat up at this cya level?

My question was should I have to keep this up during the hot daytime at 18 or can I do this every 4 hours or so? as soon as sunlight hits take it to above mustard levels, check at 12 , 4 etc.. like I said did this before not new to the process just asking for clarification.

Yes sir I did pass the OCLT during the slam phase with less than 1ppm loss.

right now
FC: 12

pH: 7.6

TA: 75

CH: 120

CYA: 30

Why do I believe I have mustard algae? I get yellow spots all over the pool, I have brand new filter less than 14psi, I also change out a pool sock every day, you can brush them away and an hour or so later than form right back up and continue to spread and increase in size if I do not brush them again, if this was dust/dirt I could push it away and it would settle quickly, these are plumes,

I do kid you not as soon as sunlight hits this pool and it heats up my FC goes from 19-20+ to 12 in a matter of hours, I know cya is low but shoudl I be using this much FC when temps heat up at this cya level?

My question was should I have to keep this up during the hot daytime at 18 or can I do this every 4 hours or so? as soon as sunlight hits take it to above mustard levels, check at 12 , 4 etc.. like I said did this before not new to the process just asking for clarification.
You should continue with the SLAM process until the OCLT loss is less than 1ppm, the CC measurement is 0.5ppm or less, and the water is crystal clear with no signs of algae dead or alive. Mustard algae process is on top of those three criteria so wait for the first three to be done before worrying about the MA protocol.

Reactions: Mdragger88
You should continue with the SLAM process until the OCLT loss is less than 1ppm, the CC measurement is 0.5ppm or less, and the water is crystal clear with no signs of algae dead or alive. Mustard algae process is on top of those three criteria so wait for the first three to be done before worrying about the MA protocol.

Thanks,

How often should I be checking during the FC level during the day? Hourly? Water temperature is 83f right now.

When you say less than 1ppm I use the tf-100 kit and my do you want semi clear or totally clear on that last drop?

Thanks,

How often should I be checking during the FC level during the day? Hourly? Water temperature is 83f right now.

When you say less than 1ppm I use the tf-100 kit and my do you want semi clear or totally clear on that last drop?
During the
SLAM Process you want to test & replenish slam level fc for your cya (12ppm) as often as possible but not more than once per hour. At least 3-4 times a day if possible.
Shock Level And Maintain.
Once you have passed ALL 3 end of slam criteria
CC is 0.5 or lower;
You pass an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test
AND
the water is clear.
(Crystal Clear w/no algae dead or alive)
You would then go to MA slam level for 24 hours & follow all the protocols listed here
Afterwards you may wish to maintain MA minimum fc for a while to ensure it doesn’t return.

The fas dpd fc & cc test’s end point is when the sample is clear - no pink.

During the SLAM:
*Check & scrub every nook & cranny where algae may hide (light niches, steps, drain covers, ladder handrails, skimmer throats/weirs, abandoned lines, autofill, overflow drains, etc.)
*If water can go there, algae can thrive there.
*Run slam level water through all water features & lines for at least a couple hours a day during the SLAM Process.
*Brush & or vac daily (this breaks up biofilms that algae uses to protect itself from chlorine)
*Backwash/clean filter when pressure rises 25%over clean pressure.

Thanks,

3-4 times per day as mentioned but if you have nothing better to do it’s ok to do more often.

Totally clear. Keeping adding drops until the last drop you added doesn’t change the color. Then don’t count that last drop.

Edit my above post. It’s 1ppm loss or less on the OCLT.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.