Question on what chemicals to add to my 14' 48" intex pool?

Re: Question on what chemicals to add to my 14' 48" intex po

Jeff - figured out something pretty cool about the size of your pool. Essentially, 1 cup of bleach = 1 ppm of FC. Therefore, if you do the test and you need to add 1 ppm of chlorine, you add 1 cup of bleach. If you are 1.5 low, add 1.5 cups of bleach. If you are 2 low, add 2 cups of bleach.

If you don't have any pH problems, for daily maintenance you won't have to keep referring to the pool calculator once you have all your target numbers down.

The most straightforward way to put CYA into your pool is to simply add it at a known amount, for an intended target. Calculating ppms per this or that tossed into the pool over time can be confusing, if you ask me. Plus if your shock product is cal-hypo, there's no CYA to be had from using it anyway.

I'd return the shock product. I know the seasonal instructions say to use it but if you've got stabilizer, just put it in and go with your intended level. Waiting 4 days for shock product to raise CYA is silly IMO when you can just put it in, assume it's there and begin dosing your pool right away with chlorine (bleach) for that CYA level. The seasonal instructions lean towards the very seasonal pool IMO, and those who don't want to purchase CYA separately because of pool size. In such a case, raising CYA by adding dichlor shock product works well and is fairly inexpensive. If you want to swim right after filling the pool, put the CYA sock in as it fills, squish it over a few hours, add bleach to your target level, and be done with it. Swim.

I do suggest to use a measuring tape to determine exactly what your full level is for that pool. The mfr's volume calculations aren't accurate unless your pool is filled exactly to their specifications. Once you know your accurate full level in inches you can plug that into the pool calculator and determine your exact volume. It'll help with dosing. For example, if your pool gains 1ppm per 1 cup 2oz of bleach, as opposed to 1ppm per 1 cup (@ a 200-300 gallon difference approximately, roughly equal to an inch or so of difference in height) if you dose up with 4 cups intending to gain a 4ppm rise, you'll actually be 1ppm short if you really need 1 cup 2oz per 1ppm.

Point being, with these small pools even an inch can make quite a bit of difference in calculations.

Jeffacdc85 said:
Can I essentially dissolve the CYA in a bucket with pool water and then dump it in? Will that be ok. I don't have any trichlor. I just have HTH sanitize(CYA), chlorine granules and shock n swim (which to me is the exact same thing as chlorine granules). My goal was to get the CYA into the Pool to the appropriate level and not have to jack with it and just worry about maintaining my ph levels and FC. Is this wrong?

CYA just won't dissolve that fast. Use 2 cups of HTH sanitize (CYA) in a sock tied to the ladder (amount suggested to bring to 30). After 1 week, you will want to test your CYA. This doesn't mean you can't swim the entire time.

Return the chlorine granules and shock n swim.

My suggestions. (Just addressing chlorine and CYA)
Day 1
When pool is almost full, add 2 cups of bleach and a tie a sock to the ladder filled with 2 cups of CYA.
Swim all you want.
When done, add 2 cups of bleach.
Day 2
Test chlorine
Add amount of bleach needed to bring FC back to 4.
Day 3
Test chlorine
Add amount of bleach needed to bring FC back to 4.
Etc. Etc. Etc.

When you post a full set of test results, including pH and TA, we will be able to advise you if any course of action needs to be taken to address those numbers. With your type of pool, essentially if the pH stays around 7.5, and does not drop to 7.2 or raise to 7.8, you won't need to do anything. If pH gets too high, you add acid to lower it. If pH gets to low, you add something to raise it (either washing soda or borax). There's a bit more to it, as I am just trying to summarize it, but that can't be addressed until we have a full set of test results.

Have you ordered a test kit yet? Basically with BBB, you need a good test kit and CYA - all the rest will come from the grocery store/hardware store and you will never need to go inside a pool store (at least not to buy chemicals.)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.