Question on setting up AqualinkD

Yarzy

Bronze Supporter
Jul 16, 2020
Chalfont, PA
Hi everyone, I am in the EARLY stages of trying to get AqualinkD running so I can connect, monitor, etc. with Home Assistant. I got the recommended USB adaptor and can get data to show on it when running this script in the instructions - "sudo -s eval 'stty raw -echo < /dev/ttyUSB0; cat -vte /dev/ttyUSB0'", and I think I got it to install okay, but I am seeing this error in my log:

Error: RS Serial: Can't lock (/dev/ttyUSB0) (11): Resource temporarily unavailable
Error: AqualinkD: Error Aqualink setting serial port: /dev/ttyUSB0

Now, when I connected the USB plug, both my RS485 ports were used, so I just piggybacked onto one of them, keeping the original wires in there and putting in the two USB wires in there as well. Is this not allowed? I am wondering if there is some sort of mix up since there are two wires coming out of the RS485 D+ and D- ports.

Is this sort of a iAqualink OR AqualinkD type of thing or can I have both running? Clearly I have no idea what I am doing so any help would be great. Thanks!

I am not familar with connecting AquaLink to Home Assistant, however if you are referring to the RED connectors on the PCB, then it only allows 2 devices to communicate from 1 RED connector.
The newer PCBs have 2 RED connectors which then allows total of 4 devices (2 each).
If you only have 1 RED connector, you can purchase a Multiplex adapter.
You would run a 4 wire connector from the existing RED connector to it. The MP board has 4 RED connectors so each can handle 2 devices.

Yes, I think that is what I am asking. I do have two 4-port Red PCB connections on my board. Just so I am clear, you are saying that I can install TWO wires per SINGLE port on each red PCB, totaling in theory, 8 wires coming out of the (2), 4-port PCB's (2 wires per G, Y, B, R ports)? If that is the case, I guess I did have it wired correctly. Any idea on the RS Serial errors I mentioned?
Thanks so much!

Yes that is correct. 2 wires max per connection.
Suggest you remove one set and determine if your error still persists. Then switch each set and determine if they work individually.

Not a bad idea. I am guessing the one I remove temporarily would be the connection to my iAqaulink, correct? Can I run them both at the same time (iAqualink and AqualinkD)?
That is above my pay grade. As indicated earlier I have never hooked up the system to Home Assistant so I cannot advise on that part.
Maybe someone will join and offer more info.
@PoolGate @generessler @MSchutzer

Error: RS Serial: Can't lock (/dev/ttyUSB0) (11): Resource temporarily unavailable
Error: AqualinkD: Error Aqualink setting serial port: /dev/ttyUSB0
/dev/ttyUSB0 is the I/O pseudofile for the USB adapter that (apparently) AqualinkD is trying to use. This error generally means the pseudofile is used for (i.e. locked by) something else. E.g. some versions of Ubuntu dedicate this channel to Braille readers. If you are running Ubuntu, you can Google around to find steps for disabling this configuration. Otherwise, you'll need to poke around for info on the OS you're running. Another possibility is that some bit of software left a lock file lying around. Again you can Google to find how to remove the lock for your OS. Welcome to old school open source software installation :cool:

Last edited:
Reactions: HermanTX
ok, that makes sense. I actually attempted to run AqualinkD on a system where there was other stuff running on. I will do a fresh install of Raspbian, install AqualinkD, and see what happens.

Thanks again!