Question on air release valve on my filter

pisstol27

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 25, 2012
Smithtown, NY (Long Island)
Hi All, is it normal that every time I open the air release valve on my filter that a lot of air comes out? With the pump off I open the valve and air rushes out for a good 20-30 seconds. I then turn the pump on and air continues to rush out for another 10 seconds until water finally starts spouting out. I am not sure if this is normal or if it something to worry about. The filter stays at a very low pressure and seems to be working fine otherwise.

You are getting a build up of air from somewhere in the system, either a suction side leak or the water level is too low and is sucking in air at the skimmer. Does your pump basket frequently have air bubbles or never looks completely full?

When the pump is off and you open the air release valve the water will start to drain out of the filter and suck air in. That is what you're hearing. Then when you turn the pump on it has to push all that air back out.

The real check would be the open that valve after the pump has been running for a while to see if air is accumulating in the filter

When the pump is off and you open the air release valve the water will start to drain out of the filter and suck air in. That is what you're hearing. Then when you turn the pump on it has to push all that air back out.

The real check would be the open that valve after the pump has been running for a while to see if air is accumulating in the filter
I concur. If the filter was full of pressurized air, it would escape immediately after the pump shut off. It wouldn't hold it for hours.

After the pump has been running ten minutes or so, you open the air bleed just a little with the pump on. If there is any air in the tank, it will hiss a little and then water will squirt out. If there isn't air air trapped in the tank, immediately after opening the bleed, water will spray out.

What does this tell you? If no air, then no suction side air leak.

Pissol,

The folks here have explained it...take a straw, with no thumb on the end, push it into a tall cup of water, then put your thump over the end and lift it out of the cup. Right now, this is your filter full of water. When you take off your thumb, the water falls out of the straw, just like when you open the valve on the top of the filter. I believe you are causing the problem if you keep opening the filter valve when the pump is off.

Here are the steps you need to take, then post back:

1. turn on pump - btw, what kind of pump do you have and what RPM's does is normally run?
2. Once the pump has run for 3-4 min's and has completely primed [no bubbles in the pump basket], open the valve on the filter till you hear a hissing sound..,
3. leave filter valve open until you see water coming out. Close valve - let pump run 15-30 sec's, then open the valve a bit until it starts hissing again or until water comes out again.. Once you repeat this till only water comes out, you have purged the filter of all its air. Turn off pump.
4. DO NOT OPEN FILTER VALVE - let it set for 5-10 mins. Then turn pump back on...and let it run for 10 min...if you see no air, you're good, if you start to see bubbles again, post back and we'll tell you what do from there...

BTW, list all your equipment and pool type as noted below in your signature, tstex

First off, thanks for everyone's replies. This site truly is remarkable and a life saver. I had to purchase all new equipment last year and went with a Hayward Maxflo variable speed pump. It appears that this thread may have been much ado about nothing because after opening the air release valve on the filter with the pump running, water came out right away. I guess I was mistaken in thinking I should open the valve with the pump off to release any air that had built up while the pump was running.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.