Question about winterizing JXi Jandy Gas Fired Pool Heater

Jul 21, 2015
Toronto
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Hi, I have a VersaFlo bypass installed on my JXi pool heater. I need to remove all water from the heater and most of the advice I've seen is to use a blower to blow out the return lines including blowing out the water in the heater. But my question is this- when the heater is turned off, the bypass opens and it looks that means the air would mostly bypass the heater, and I'm concerned water would remain over the winter and freeze in the heater. Is there a way to blow out the heater effectively with that bypass installed? Here's what the bypass valve looks like when water is flowing:
Thanks for any advice you can give.
Rob

Welcome to TFP.

Follow the Jandy winterizing instructions for the JXI heater and remove the drain plugs.

1696089620979.png

Thanks. I did read that, but what I was concerned with was all the internet videos suggesting I also had to blow out the pipes inside the heater as part of blowing out the lines- with the versa-flo integrated bypass that really isn't possible- do you think that maybe its not necessary to blow air through the heater itself but only removing the plugs is enough? Thanks for any further guidance.

Reactions: epachal
Follow the manufacturers winterizing instructions where supplied over some internet video.

Manufactuers put the drain plugs at the low point in their equipment so that they drain fully.

Thanks. I did read that, but what I was concerned with was all the internet videos suggesting I also had to blow out the pipes inside the heater as part of blowing out the lines- with the versa-flo integrated bypass that really isn't possible- do you think that maybe its not necessary to blow air through the heater itself but only removing the plugs is enough? Thanks for any further guidance.
Hello! Did you find out exactly what you need to do? How do you drain the water fully?
Follow the manufacturers winterizing instructions where supplied over some internet video.

Manufactuers put the drain plugs at the low point in their equipment so that they drain fully.

Hi, I have a VersaFlo bypass installed on my JXi pool heater. I need to remove all water from the heater and most of the advice I've seen is to use a blower to blow out the return lines including blowing out the water in the heater. But my question is this- when the heater is turned off, the bypass opens and it looks that means the air would mostly bypass the heater, and I'm concerned water would remain over the winter and freeze in the heater. Is there a way to blow out the heater effectively with that bypass installed? Here's what the bypass valve looks like when water is flowing:
Thanks for any advice you can give.
Rob

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.