Question about slam and morning sun

Overnight loss about 2-3 ppm cc 0. (which has been somewhat consistent for a few days now)

water is still dull, but I think it's getting slightly better. But only slightly.

CYA tested 20 or a little less than 20. I started adding it last Monday, around 7pm. So it's been in the water 6.5 days now. Interestingly, I tested CYA 3-4 days ago and it was higher than this, more like 25-30
It's raining now, so I tested it inside. I will retest it tonight\tomorrow.

I did clean the cartridges a few days ago, not sure if that removed some of it. I assume it can't be converting to ammonia any longer since my overnight loss of chlorine has been 2-3 ppm for a few days now.

So far about 22 gallons of chlorine (12 8.25% and 10 12.5%)

Another interesting thing - when I add water to the "chlorine only" testing tube for chlorine test, water has a slight yellow tint. I rinse the tube with tap water, scrub it with finger, rinse it with pool water and try it again and then it's clear. I've been using this tube for 5-6 years and always rinse it before and after the test (pool water before, tap water after), but a couple days ago was the first time I started seeing water having yellow tint. Is the tube just old and needs to be replaced?

The conversion of CYA to ammonia exists but it is getting too much "press". Thousands of pool owners have never seen it in their pools. I have never seen it in mine.

It is a condition that you can overthink and end up spinning your wheels.

Whether you get ammonia in your pool or you NEVER do, the answer is always the same when you open up......get chlorine in there!!

no I understand that. I was questioning earlier if adding stabilizer right away to the pool that had (or has) ammonia was the right thing to do. next time this happens I'll probably just stay up all night and keep it at shock level. this way I wouldn't be questioning why cya reading today is lower than it was 3 days ago ( but I will retest it once Sun comes out )

overnight loss about 1,5-2ppm cc 0. water is just as dull as it was for the last few days. CYA reads about 25 ppm. (was added late Monday 25th)

question - do I need to test cya 7 days after it was fully dissolved or after socks were put in the water? If fully dissolved I guess I will need to retest it a couple days later.

Thanks.

Nothing changes. overnight loss 1-3ppm. cc 0 - 0.5

Can the stabilizer I used make water dull? Does stabilizer expire? I used "Pool breeze", which I think is the same as HTH (wording is nearly identical), but I have no idea how old it is.

Can heater be responsible for this? It hasn't been used for more than 6 seasons, but I can't bypass it with current configuration.

no algae, just dull water. I can see bottom drains, but the water is not as clear as it always is. I've been shocking, since Memorial day. My CYA is around 25-30, I bring chlorine level to 12ppm

The only other suspect I can think of - I may not be adding enough chlorine. Socks with stabilizer were put in the water on Memorial day and I believe I removed the last sock about 6-7 days ago, but maybe this stabilizer takes longer to fully register? I could see the dot with full tube on Memorial day, but maybe it was ~~10 and not 0

thanks

I stopped slamming the pool because my pump had issues and was off for 2 days.

9pm Thursday my FC was 4. I poured 1 gal of 12.5 around the deep end of the pool (raised FC by 5.5, bringing it to 9.5 instead of shock level of 12). Fri 7PM I had 4ppm and again poured 1 gal.

Saturday night pump was fixed. At 10PM I had 3.5 ppm and added 1 gallon (which again should have brought the FC to 9ppm)

Sunday 6AM FC was 9 ppm!!! In other words, 0 FC loss.

I must admit, I did not retest the level after liquid is added. First of all I know 1 gal adds 5.5ppm. Secondly, since pump wasn't running, I figured there's no good reason to test. I tested this batch of chlorine, it's always been adding 5.5ppm (or a little more. seems like 12.5 may actually be a bit stronger)

The water is still a little dull, not much improvement, but I wonder if it is safe to swim???

And the 2nd question (sorry for asking this..) - according to OCLT you are good when overnight loss is 1ppm or less. It has always been the case for me in all the years I owned the pool (when FC kept at regular levels) . But is it always true with the shock levels?

I had overnight loss of 1.5-3ppm for about 10 days since Memorial day, but once I stopped bringing it to shock level my overnight loss went down. May be the last overnight loss had to do with colder temperature we had last night, I think it was in low 50s. water temp is 68 now
I test early AM, my cya is about 25, maybe early morning sun manages to bring my high FC level down by a couple ppm

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.