Question about salt cell

Yes there are many reasons. I had zero chlorine when I first started with my pool as well. The advice I got was very helpful, but so was the pool care basics. The advice I received was to first make sure you don't have any algae eating all your chlorine. Check out the section on running an overnight FC loss test and go from there. For me personally, getting CYA in range was the key. The pool company recommended like 30-50 CYA, which is where I was at, but turns out is should be way higher, otherwise the sun evaporates all the chlorine out of the pool. For the first 3 weeks I was only managing chlorine in my saltwater pool by pouring in liquid chlorine. I was thinking to myself..."what is the point of a saltwater pool if I am just pouring chlorine in every week". Once You rule out algae, then get CYA, pH and alkalinity in appropriate range, as recommended by TFP, then things go smoothly.

Reactions: newdude and mknauss
^^^^^^^ also key, as Zplayer did, is that chlorone be present by any means available. If the SWG isn't keeping up for any reason, you take over with bleach. We will then have time to figure out why, without having to figure out why *and* clear a swamp.

Having enough FC to make it through the day is Job#1 at all times. :)

Welcome to TFP.

Your CYA level will effect the performance of your SWG and your pools ability to keep FC.

As well as if your pool is not algae free.

Thank you, all! Still going through the articles and videos.
Tested water today:l using aqua check 7:
TH: 100
TC: 0
FC: 0.5
pH: 8.4(+)
TA: 240(+)
CYA: 300
What’s the next step?

With regards to adding chlorine or bleach: I have 8 gal of HTH liquid chlorination (10% of sodium hypochlorite). Will that work? Would that be enough for my pool (estimated 33–35k gal)?

Also, since I already have a Compool with EasyTouch upgrade, IntelliChlor with IC-40 and screenlogic, would getting IntelliChem take complete care of the pool chemistry (mostly)?

Thank you!

What’s the next step?
You need a proper test kit. I suggest the TF-100 / TFPRO or Taylor K2006C. A proper test kit is needed to get the accurate water chemistry results needed to follow the TFP protocols.

Once you get your test kit, post up your test results.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.