San Antonio, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-9)
I feel I need to do a partial drain & refill in my salt pool in order to reduce my 750 CH. I am planning to drain about 1/3 of my pool and replace with 170 CH city water. That should give me a new reading of approx 557. Is that worth the cost and effort?

My main concern is also my TA level. I am currently sitting at 95. The fill water will have an extremely high TA of 210. The resulting TA will be approx 133. I have no problem doing the TA reduction procedure after the fill, as I was planning to lower it to about 70 anyway. I have an attached spa with 6 bubblers. However will the time that it takes to get it down to 70 cause any unforseen issues for me?

Any thought will be appreciated as I was planning to tackle all of this in the next few days. Thnaks in advance for your help.

Do you add alot of tap water for make up water due to evaporation? Why did your CH level rise so much?

If your CH rises due to you adding tap water due to evaporation, you need to drain a lot more water. Get your CH down to 300 ppm or so.

While 750 is a bit elevated, it's still very manageable. I would be more inclined (for now) to lower the TA to about 60 and then keep the pH well controlled to prevent scale. These clouds in our area right now may not produce a lot of rain, but hopefully we should have a good storm or two in the future. That would be a good time to lower the water in advance and get some CH-free water from above.

Can you connect your pool fill to a water softener? It can lower your high CH water to a manageable level... I also have hard water and run my hoses through the water softener :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.