Silver Supporter
Jul 5, 2023
Fort Wayne, Indiana
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I dont have any results yet as I will be opening my pool from its first winter this weekend.

I assume it will be out of balance and chlorine will be at zero.

I remember reading somewhere last year about the top two readings to focus on. I thought it was ph and cya but ive been wrong hundreds of times before.

Can anyone help me with that so I can hit it hard out of the gate?

FC
pH
TA
CYA
CH

FC first because it kills the bad stuff

pH & TA together as they work together and low/high pH can mess up the pool surface

CYA as you need to know how much you have to know how much FC to add

CH last as it is not that big a deal most of the time.

FC
pH
TA
CYA
CH

pH & TA together as they work together and low/high pH can mess up the pool surface

Thank you very much for the quick response. Im going to hit the ground running this weekend. it may be into a brick wall but I guarantee it will be at full speed lol

FC
pH
TA
CYA
CH

I put TA at the bottom of the list.

TA can manage itself as you keep the pH in the 7s. Short term nothing bad happens with high TA.

CYA is vital to being able to maintain an adequate FC level. You need to get the CYA in the water.

FC, pH, and CYA are the important chemicals on opening the pool.

Once everything is running you can tinker with CH and TA.

I put TA at the bottom of the list.

TA can manage itself as you keep the pH in the 7s. Short term nothing bad happens with high TA.

CYA is vital to being able to maintain an adequate FC level. You need to get the CYA in the water.

FC, pH, and CYA are the important chemicals on opening the pool.

Once everything is running you can tinker with CH and TA.
thank you as well ajw

Make sure you mix for a full day before believing the CYA and CH tests. (Amd salt when applicable)

FC, TA and PH should be mixed well after 20 to 30 mins.

Add 5ppm FC the first day just to have some in there. It'll likely go quick with little/no CYA.

Make sure you mix for a full day before believing the CYA and CH tests. (Amd salt when applicable)

FC, TA and PH should be mixed well after 20 to 30 mins.

Add 5ppm FC the first day just to have some in there. It'll likely go quick with little/no CYA.
I made a quick check of water as it sits this morning before pumps got running it wasnt too bad actually for being shut 6 months

FC .5
CYA 10
ph 7.2
ta 80
ch 200 well water no getting away from it

Reactions: Newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just let the pump run for an hour or two before taking a water sample.
Do all the tests at once so you have a baseline. It only takes a few minutes to complete all the tests anyway.

If you have zero FC and CYA, test for ammonia.

i will have to research the ammonia test

Towards the bottom of any forum page is the TFP Wiki link. If you have a thought, such as 'I wonder about ammonia' or 'sand filters' or 'how does my TA/PH interact'.....

There's probably 3 topics about it, alphabetized for easy finding. :)

Come ask if there are still any blanks after.

Reactions: Fathead657

Towards the bottom of any forum page is the TFP Wiki link. If you have a thought, such as 'I wonder about ammonia' or 'sand filters' or 'how does my TA/PH interact'.....

There's probably 3 topics about it, alphabetized for easy finding. :)

Come ask if there are still any blanks after.
thank you. its part of my ocd i must know why everything does what it does

Reactions: kimkats and Newdude
Lol

Also wife was looking on test instructions and there is a weird thing she found. The test for hardness on website says use 25ml water and 20 drops but paper with test kit says 10ml with 10 drops. Which is correct?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support