Question about mustard algae

Saw you were brushing, but have you tried vacuuming? Using the vacuum to waste and going very slowly might help. Or adding DE to the sand then brushing might clear up the debris if it is dead algae. I know the green stuff turns white when dead, not sure about mustard.

Saw you were brushing, but have you tried vacuuming? Using the vacuum to waste and going very slowly might help. Or adding DE to the sand then brushing might clear up the debris if it is dead algae. I know the green stuff turns white when dead, not sure about mustard.

Thanks for the suggestion. I vacuumed to waste very slowly. It seemed to clear most of it out. Several hours later, starting to see traces again. I hope the chlorine gets the rest overnight.

Thanks for the suggestion. I vacuumed to waste very slowly. It seemed to clear most of it out. Several hours later, starting to see traces again. I hope the chlorine gets the rest overnight.

Finally some progress. This morning there was only a tiny bit of the tan stuff. Very big improvement. I did not do an accurate OCLT, but will see what it reads tonight. There is finally some light at the end of the tunnel.

Brushing is most beneficial. Should do it atleast 1 a day I recommend 2 a day. Also run main drain or floor drain not skimmer you want the most circulation as possible. Im right here with you im down to a 2 OCLT. This is my second battle with the mustard this season. Dont think it was truely gone the first time. Its been just over a week for me and I currently only getting 1 small spot of build up.

Brushing is most beneficial. Should do it atleast 1 a day I recommend 2 a day. Also run main drain or floor drain not skimmer you want the most circulation as possible. Im right here with you im down to a 2 OCLT. This is my second battle with the mustard this season. Dont think it was truely gone the first time. Its been just over a week for me and I currently only getting 1 small spot of build up.

Well, my battle continues. It has been just under two weeks of shocking. I brush at least twice a day. Vacuuming to waste has made the most difference. This stuff will not die. It is unbelievable. I am worn out from all the scrubbing and vacuuming. Yesterday I took about the sand filter. That was full of debris. I ran the hose through the sand and stirred it around a bit for 2.5 hours and it still never ran totally clear. I at least got the water in the filter to progress from a totally opaque tan color to a dirty dishwater color. Had to give up on that because the yard was starting to flood. But I will say that a lot of debris came out of that filter. Maybe that will help.

OCLT was 2 last night. Still some tan stuff in the wrinkles. I guess I will vacuum and scrub again today. I would love to hear from someone who has actually battled mustard algae and won first hand. Any advice. I have no lighting chambers in the pool. Ladder was scrubbed and removed. Hoses do not feel slimy. Maybe time for sand replacement? The label says it requires 250 pounds, so I was hoping to avoid that. Sounds very heavy.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.