Question about Intex/Bestway Wall Mount Surface Skimmer

Newerabs

Jul 22, 2015
Eaton Rapids
We recently put up Bestway pool. I replaced one of the intake skimmers with a Intex wall mount skimmer. However, after watching some videos of people installing it, they are saying that I need to "block" the other intake hose (on Bestway/Intex pools there is 2 intake skimmers). But I'm not quite sure how to do that?

Do I need something like this? 11237, Flow Reduction Adapter for AU AGP With 58946/58947
Would this work? https://rb.gy/egiiz

I'm just trying to make sure I have the best suction. Thanks!

Reactions: Jaked35
We recently put up Bestway pool. I replaced one of the intake skimmers with a Intex wall mount skimmer. However, after watching some videos of people installing it, they are saying that I need to "block" the other intake hose (on Bestway/Intex pools there is 2 intake skimmers). But I'm not quite sure how to do that?

Do I need something like this? 11237, Flow Reduction Adapter for AU AGP With 58946/58947
Would this work? https://rb.gy/egiiz

Did you not get the little "hats" with the pool? Those are used for blocking the ports. *EDIT* Yes, the link you sent second is what you need to block the port. Those are the hats. Pool should have come with some, I thought. You don't want the first one. That one decreases the flow to a pinhole size, thus reducing the "suction" effect. You'd still have water flowing through those.

If you really wanted to up your game, go with the Hayward through-wall skimmer. Game. Changer.

Last year I replaced my Intex with a Bestway (both from Costco). The Bestway came without a skimmer and I was very unsatisfied with the Bestway "plumbing" but that was probably because the current "industry standard" is to have two 1-1/4" outlets (vs. one 1-1/2") for safety. Also, I wanted the skimmer mounted on the angled part (long story) which is why the skimmer is so far from the port.

After the obligatory trips to Home Despot, Amazon and my box of sundry fittings, I came up with what's in the pictures. Yeah, I know, where it penetrates the wall it's constricted to 1-1/4" but otherwise it's at least 1-1/2" and I have a shutoff valve, also from the Intex. Sorry but I forgot what diameters of rubber couplings and PVC I used.

As for the other outlet, I connected that (through a similar setup like in the second picture) to the tiny Intex pump I bought as a stop-gap the last year I used my Intex pool. It pumps water through that solar mat that came with the pool.

With this setup, I have shut-offs on all three ports and the filter is able to provide enough "suction" for the skimmer to work. My only concern is that in the event of an earthquake when we're out of town (it's happened) those hose clamps might not hold the valves tight enough.

Attachments

• IMG_6481.jpeg
    IMG_6481.jpeg
    362.7 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_6482.jpeg
    IMG_6482.jpeg
    752.8 KB · Views: 32

Would this work? Amazon.com

Like other person mentioned be careful using intex over the side skimmer I wrestled with one on my bestway steel pro max for couple years it would raise up completely out of the water. I decided to find another option and purchased the flowclear by bestway over the side skimmer identical to intex except the piece that attaches to the top rail of pool frame is an oval shape like the bestway oval shape top rail on my pool. It was a huge difference. I never had to babysit that skimmer again! It stays in place works great I do block one suction port even tho I use a 2500 gallon per hour intex cartridge filter pump which you can purchase for $129.99 at academy sports and it comes with the screw on hoses and large intex pool inlet with aeration. You can also purchase the screw on hoses for replacement at academy sports for $10.00 each which is bout half price of anywhere else. Honestly I never use the 2nd suction. I don’t have small children that may get harmed from entanglement. I cut my liners and use the large intex pool suction port which you can still get on intex Corp website and it can use a screw to keep the strainer grid in place so no child can remove it. They even began making the old style again as well that has the strainer grid built in so it can’t be removed yet the skimmer adapter can still screw onto the threads on the suction port. Even with the other large suction port that the strainer grid unscrews it supports the adapter as well as it has two sets of threads one around outer rim for the strainer grid and another that is the diameter of small pool strainer grid that fits on small pool suction port. Bestway skimmer also works one other different way other than having oval mount for top rail the blue outer piece that floats and skimmer basket sits inside has holes in it. And it has a round piece sits over the blue part and actually slips into 2 notches then turns so it locks in place. It comes with the quick easy set mount as well for blow up ring. I found videos on YouTube with comparison they are in foreign language but you can see in each type of pool with different type and size pumps that the flowclear by bestway skimmer apparently works more efficiently. I just got intex ultra frame xtr and I still plan to use my bestway but I did keep an intex skimmer just in case. Hope this helps anyone who has bestway or coleman or any pool with oval shaped top rail pool frame the intex is made more for the round pvc type frame and they never have upgraded or updated it to fit differently. But the prism frame is round pvc shaped frame and even ultra xtr has oval but it’s on the underside of the top rail.

Yep. Also, be careful. I've heard the wall-mounted skimmer can sometimes come free or float up, thus not allowing water in so the pump sucks air. Just keep an eye on it.
They do! But only intex I just responded to original post since has bestway pool. I had issues with intex skimmer lifting up completely out of water all the time! It is made for a round top rail. Flowclear made by bestway makes one similar same pieces few differences main one being top rail attachment is shaped big oval like bestway steel pro max and bestway power steal top rails are as well as coleman which is made by bestway. It stays in place never once came out of water or anything and has a ring that locks the basket and blue float in place so it can’t float away. Got first one eBay spreetail used like new $11.00.

Last year I replaced my Intex with a Bestway (both from Costco). The Bestway came without a skimmer and I was very unsatisfied with the Bestway "plumbing" but that was probably because the current "industry standard" is to have two 1-1/4" outlets (vs. one 1-1/2") for safety. Also, I wanted the skimmer mounted on the angled part (long story) which is why the skimmer is so far from the port.

After the obligatory trips to Home Despot, Amazon and my box of sundry fittings, I came up with what's in the pictures. Yeah, I know, where it penetrates the wall it's constricted to 1-1/4" but otherwise it's at least 1-1/2" and I have a shutoff valve, also from the Intex. Sorry but I forgot what diameters of rubber couplings and PVC I used.

As for the other outlet, I connected that (through a similar setup like in the second picture) to the tiny Intex pump I bought as a stop-gap the last year I used my Intex pool. It pumps water through that solar mat that came with the pool.

With this setup, I have shut-offs on all three ports and the filter is able to provide enough "suction" for the skimmer to work. My only concern is that in the event of an earthquake when we're out of town (it's happened) those hose clamps might not hold the valves tight enough.
So is that just adapter on outside of pool wall where you attached plunger valve and screw on hose? I prefer those to the adapters that screw onto pump and then allow you to slide hose and clamp. I cut my liners used medical scalpel til it broke then hobby knife. Better than box blade. Just confused on pvc you mentioned? Not seeing where you used that unless you hard plumb somewhere else? Just got new pool hate to void warranty is ultra frame xtr 2yr warranty so thought maybe I can try the small pool suction fitting and use my adapter have 2 diff types that can go on the rubber nipple piece and then plunger valve or screw on hose attach opposite side. One tho is superior if you want to rid the clamps. It has the threads on one side for ur plunger valve but the other side instead of sliding over rubber piece and having clamp it has its own rubber gasket and then a nut similar to the screw on hoses for pump but smaller and it tightens down onto the piece coming out of the pool wall. They call them B adapters. Can find on Amazon or eBay easily. Let me see if I can take pic of mine to show. Also now you can find the 3 way hose connection that accepts the screw on hoses for all connections too. Amazon and eBay both and one will extend length of screw on hose by attaching 2 together. First pic is the B adapter that has rubber gasket throughout and tightens down on the piece coming out of pool wall so no clamps to be concerned with. 2nd pic is adapter it looks like you may have used but not sure since you mention pvc. 3rd pic is the old intex 3 way screw on hose option but new ones have surfaced and have gaskets on them as well this one uses the same type gaskets that are on the face of plunger valve as you go to connect it to the fitting coming out of the pool wall same as the adapter set in photo 2 uses hope this helps in case you did not use adapters and if you want option like photo 1 that has no clamps at all. They sell in sets of 2 normally. But is just so much easier to trace the nut that screws onto large pool fitting and cut the liner with a hobby knife just go slow. I’ve done it to every single pool I’ve ever had lol but then when comes time to get new one I give option for someone to have pool free if they take it down or if they want large intex pool fittings the suction and inlet since I plug 2nd suction and the plunger valves, screw on hoses and 2500 gallon per hour intex cartridge filter pump then it will cost 100-150 and people jump at that deal cause you can go back to small pool fittings but the rubber piece gets cut off when you cut the liner to make hole large enough for large pool fittings. I get the intex large pool suction and inlet from the intex Corp website much cheaper than paying what eBay sellers ask

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    302.6 KB · Views: 3
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    471.6 KB · Views: 2
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    605.3 KB · Views: 2

Oh my bad now I see the pvc! Yeah I want my skimmer further away too. Was thinking maybe this new pool I would cut at the furthest suction and plug one Between it and the inlet but that skimmer hose is so short and I tried a coupling for pool vac hose doesn’t work for it tho. If you remember what you got please reply. I’m gonna take my inlet into Home Depot to come up with rubber part curved so I can point the clean water more to side. I did put it down and toward skimmer and it really did a lot but then you are left with dead spots but I see it now good deal! Awesome idea.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.