Question about electrical wiring to Spa and Pool light...

Do not assume ANYTHING when dealing with a deadly combination of 120VAC and the pool/spa.

It is not worth killing yourself or somebodies kids because you "think" the pool is correct.

Either hire an electrician that specializes in pools or call the county/city inspector to see if there were permits and inspections. If there is no inspection, see the first line of this post.

This is nothing to blow off...

So a regular licensed electrician couldn't come look at it? Is there such thing as licensed "pool electricians?" This is our first pool, so I'm still learning it all. Thanks!

I would say the odds are good that the cost of a GFCI breaker vs a GFCI receptacle made the former owner choose the receptacle route. There is a daisy chain connection to most GFCI receptacles, such that you can have a master GCFI and regular (i.e. $1) receptacles attached downstream of the GFCI while still having them all protected.

Update
I was able to go out tonight and check the receptacle and breakers. You guys inclinations were spot on! The pool light is wired separately to the newer white GFCI receptacle at the bottom and going to the black breaker on the bottom right panel (the bottom one of the two that aren't labeled). The spa light is wired to the GFCI breaker circled in red. They are both wired to the same junction box, but each on a different switch in the junction box.

So I guess my next step is to inspect the spa light itself and see if it has water in it like you guys said? Do I need to drain the spa below the light level to do this? Or do I just undo the screw and pull the light out? Please bear with me, this is my first experience at this. Thanks guys!

Turn off the breakers. ALL the breakers. There should be a screw on the top. undo the screw and pull the fixture out. You don't have to get in the pool . There should be enough loose cord to set the light on the pool deck. You can then inspect. Look on You Tube, Inyo pools has several videos on changing pool lights.

I would get an electrician to do the work I listed in my post above. You don't need a guy specializing in pools. Your setup right now does not comply with code because you don't have a disconnect. Good residential electrician should be able to get this in better shape.

Actually, the code requires a receptacle to be accessible at or near any main panel or sub panel for service work. After looking at that panel I do not see a breaker labeled for that GFCI. It could be one of the two located on the bottom right side. Also, does this panel have a separate disconnect near it??? As a feeder/sub panel there are way too many breakers in there to not have a disconnect

What exactly would a "disconnect" look like. I can certainly check!

The panel can be a disconnect if it does not require more than 6 throws to kill all the power. Yours does not qualify. That's the rule of six. Its actually a code interpretation, the code doesn't actually say that, that I'm aware of. So a Inspector could say he doesn't agree with that interpretation. It rather universal though.

A disconnect looks like the box attached to your house next to the air conditioning compressor. disconect.jpg

The panel can be a disconnect if it does not require more than 6 throws to kill all the power. Yours does not qualify. That's the rule of six. Its actually a code interpretation, the code doesn't actually say that, that I'm aware of. So a Inspector could say he doesn't agree with that interpretation. It rather universal though.
Can a panel have 8 circuits, with two double throw (230 V) breakers, and still meet this requirement? I am having Ana electrician put in a sub panel for the pool gear, and need to have my AC handler rewired (romex from panel is just just dangling, not properly held up to any support). I thought it would be nice to have two 230 V breakers (pool pump, heater), a convenience outlet, & a light. That's 6 circuits, but 4 throws. Could I connect my AC handler to this subpanel, adding 2 circuits and 1 more throw, making it 8 circuits and 5 throws?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.