Question about deck lid - shouldn't it be flush?

cbm2112

Feb 14, 2022
Garland, TX
Hi folks, a greenhorn here, I apologize for the lack of details in the profile. Fiberglass/saltwater, Jandy & Raypak gear. Question for the group, with pics to support. We have what I'll call a "deck lid" issue ... it isn't flush, is unsightly, etc. Our warranty with the builder is on a ticking clock and they insist this was installed to manufacturer spec and they can't address it without causing more problems. I say this is a safety hazard and should be flush, and be corrected under warranty. What are the group's thoughts? sump-basin-lid-protruding.jpgfull-deck.jpg20210812_171914.jpg

CBM.....Yes, that is a tripping risk and very unusual that the large tube wasn't cut down before the deck poured.
Can't the pool builder work out a way to widen the deck outlet to allow the cap to sit flat within the cut out space? It wont be the way it should have been done normally but he's *got* to fix it somehow, IMO.

Welcome to TFP....sorry its under these circumstances though. :(

Maddie 🇺🇦

Reactions: cbm2112
Hello again...Maddie, if you will indulge me. I got another opinion and received this response. "You're going to need to get a pool plumber or call company to look at that lid and round box. That appears to be the autofill for your pool which will have pressurized plumbing connected to it. Your problem is with that autofill and not the deck." Does this make sense to you? Thanks

Lift up the lid and show a pic of what is under the lid.

I think you had a failure to communicate between the Pool Builder and the deck company. The Pool builder did not put in the proper box at the proper level before the deck was poured.

It is going to be hard to correct at this time as it looks like there is concrete around the pipe. The concrete would need to be chipped out to recess the lid.

I suggest you put a piece of furniture or a planter over the lid.

Lift up the lid and show a pic of what is under the lid.

I think you had a failure to communicate between the Pool Builder and the deck company. The Pool builder did not put in the proper box at the proper level before the deck was poured.

It is going to be hard to correct at this time as it looks like there is concrete around the pipe. The concrete would need to be chipped out to recess the lid.

I suggest you put a piece of furniture or a planter over the lid.
Hi Allen, thanks for the advice. I don't have a pic handy now of what is under the deck lid but will try to take one this week. For now, this is a pic supposedly taken from the manufacturer's installation instructions (according to the builder's warranty department representative). I feel like the builder is blowing us off/waiting us out, when I asked for a detailed explanation (after "much discussion", according to them) as to why they will not make this issue right for us while we still are within warranty coverage period, they say it will cause more problems and that they have installed the sump pipe and deck lid properly per manufacturer's instructions. Really?! lol.

Even from this pic provided by the builder saying they installed to manufacturer spec, the lid is shown as flush/flat in the doc.

Attachments

• Mitchell - Sump Pipe Installation Directions.jpg
    Mitchell - Sump Pipe Installation Directions.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 21

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The deck lid ring should have been installed at the level of the deck prior to the pour.

they say it will cause more problems

I agree with that. They can't insert the ring into the concrete deck now.

they have installed the sump pipe and deck lid properly per manufacturer's instructions

Well not exactly.

Was the deck pour within the builders scope of work?

Was the builder aware of what your plans were with the deck?

If the builder was not responsible for the deck and you took responsibility for the deck then it was your responsibility to coordinate the with the builder exactly where he left off for the deck crew to pick up. That is where you had a failure to communicate.

Hi Allen, thanks for your insights. Attached is a pic of what is under the lid, but may not help/reveal much. It's an 8' sump pipe. The deck pour was to be supervised by our pool builder's construction project manager working with the 3rd party deck crew. The project manager had visual/drawing of the deck form and there were definitely changes along the way when the outline/form didn't match our final "vision" for the deck. Back to the protruding sump pipe lid though, at this time the builder's warranty team is at least cooperating with us to have their "touch up guy" come back out to countersink the sump lid with 85% confidence that he'll get it done without further issues. Now, this was the same touch up guy who tried to glue our vinyl siding back into place which was damaged by one of the various crews we had last year. Wish us luck. :)

Attachments

• 20220411_191136.jpg
    20220411_191136.jpg
    447.1 KB · Views: 15
  • 20220411_191158.jpg
    20220411_191158.jpg
    404.7 KB · Views: 15
That looks fairly easy to me to correct by a competent plumber. I'd carefully cut the travertine and make that flush with the deck top. I don't think I'd use the mechanism they have I think I'd get a skimmer cap which is designed to sit flush with the pool deck. I'm not exactly sure where they got that from. And if this is just a pipe for drainage they could just put a proper flush deck grate covering it. That looks Mickey Mouse to me. Looks like the water would need to be about an inch deep before that thing is even useful.

Reactions: cbm2112
If that is a sump drain, I am guessing that you do not want rainwater to run into it? So the lid should seal to prevent water from getting in. Make sure that whatever lid in put on if that is flush with the decking that is seals.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.