Question about CYA

Ok.. I will start this tomorrow...

I have another question.. I live near the airport so airplanes fly over my house all day and night.. I am seeing a black ring around the water line on the liner.. Could this be from the airplanes?? The pool's at the pool store also had a ring and when I asked the pool guy why that is what he told me... Is there anything I can do to keep the ring from getting worse and getting the ring that is already there off?? My pool was just put up this wk!!

Who knows, but I had a scum line in my pool and airplanes don't fly over my pool.... I think it's normal scum from suntan oils, lotions...air pollution in general... stuff like that.

I just think it's funny the pool store stuff they come up with in order to sound like they know what they are talking about... :lol:

I live in the landing pattern for the airport here in Nashville, and I have nada - zilch - nyet- no ring whatsoever around my pool. Whatever's causing it, it ain't the planes.

You might want to bring up your pH just a touch. say to 7.4 or 7.6. 7.2's not danger level, but I like mine in the middle of the scale if I can keep it there. If you do bring it up, just keep an eye on it and see if it drops again. If it does, we'll talk about raising TA then. You use borax to raise pH - check the pool calc and it'll tell you how much.

Other than that, looks good to me! :goodjob:

momof3 said:
Hello, here are my Saturday morning readings... When should I start adding something more than bleach??

when I was at walmart looking for skimmer socks (which mine doesn't sell apparently :( I had an overwhelming desire to buy all these products that said it would make your water clear and sparkly and keep algae away and kill bad stuff etc etc etc. I thought gosh, the pool is so nice and I don't do anything except add chlorine, I must need some of this stuff to make sure it stays nice! but alas, the fact is I have to keep buying my chlorine refills and stay away from these wonderful looking products that effectively do the opposite of what they say they will in one way or another.
so even though it would be fun to add different things besides bleach, that's really the #1 thing you need, often the only thing. when you're done with this project, maybe you can add borates, that will give you some new products to throw in the pool :)

I just got back from walmart and they didnt have Borax.. :shock: .. But they did have baking soda.. so I picked up some baking soda for later and went to Kroger for the Borax... Walmart never has what I am looking for anyway..

I will be adding 72 oz of borax when the kids get out for the evening.. and a more bleach...

I feel like I am adding bleach all day long... I hope it gets less frequently that I have to add this stuff.... My neighbors must think I am nuts... :rant:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sunday Morning numbers

FC=4

CC=0

PH=7.8

TA=90

CH=100

I added Borax last night and this did bring up my PH but looks like my TA went up since last time I tested it...

My FC looks perfect and this reading is before I added anything this morning.. Should I still add Bleach since I know some will burn off today?? and if so how much because the calculator says not to add any..

I never was shocking the pool.. lol

I am just trying to keep the FC level where it needs to be and it keeps burning off because the CYA is still dissolving..

The pool looks great!!! Maybe a few too many bugs but other than that looks good..

oops. well your minimum is 2 and your target is 4. whatever you need to do to stay above minimum. it's no big deal. add it if it needs it. it's not like you can't swim or anything. it's usually recommended to add in the evening when less will be lost to sunlight, but like I say, whatever it takes to stay above minimum.

Since you know what your FC was this morning, measure it again this evening and see what the difference is. This should give you a ballpark figure of how much chlorine your pool uses during the day. So, let's just say for an example that you drop down to 2 ppm this evening, so your chlorine demand is 5 ppm for the day; since your target is 4, I'd bring your FC up to 9 in the evening, so the next evening you should be around 3 or 4. If you know you're going to have a heavy bather load the next day, then bring it up a few ppm more, say 11 or so, to compensate for the extra load.

Make sense?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.