Question about chlorine lock

Just a thought... have you added any non-chlorine "shock"? That's stuff like Chlor-free and Oxone. MPS will give a false high CC reading.

If the pH is in range and the FC is above minimum for the CYA level, then technically I guess the pool is safe to swim in. People have been swimming in rivers and lakes and ponds with no test results for centuries and haven't been dying from it. But if that CC is CC and not interference, expect skin irritation and burning eyes.

Taking FC up to 31 is not so difficult. It's just a matter of emptying some jugs. If you get a good kill on whatever is growing -- and it can't be much if the water is clear -- then maintaining it shouldn't take any huge volume of bleach. It's just getting it up there initially that looks so daunting. And if it does have an unquenchable thirst for bleach, then it's just a matter of time before the pool turns to a swamp.

Also check for algae lurking behind lights and stairs and inside ladders. You still haven't filled out your signature so we have no clue what we're dealing with.

You thanked him but you didn't answer the questions ??

You've been doing a SLAM since Tuesday but what are your numbers ?? Is your pH good, where is it at ?? Are you still at 80ppm CYA and what is your target FC and are you maintaining it ??

My CYA is 60 so I have been maintaining the FC level at 24. I checked it often at the beginning when it was losing chlorine very rapidly and now am checking it twice a day since it slowed down. The ph was within range before I started as per instructions. I have not checked that again since the instructions said the high chlorine level would skew that number. I am getting frustrated especially since we have 90 degree weather on the way and would like to use the pool. Any suggestions?

- - - Updated - - -

I have not added anything other than bleach

Re: Chlorine Lock Causes?

Bleach is all you need to be adding. Follow the SLAM process until you pass the 3 criteria to stop.

If you want to swim and the water is clear. Just let the FC drop below SLAM level and go ;)

Re: Chlorine Lock Causes?

Check behind any lights if you have any... as in pull them off the wall and clean clean clean... that was my issue. if you don't have any, then I don't know enough to know what your problem is. my pool is as good as it has ever been now. I have high CYA so i try to keep over 10 FC at all times...

Patience, like they say it took some time to get the pool out of balance, it will take time to get it back into balance, and lots and lots of bleach until the algae is killed off.

I have been slamming for over two weeks "partially because I was lazy and did not keep the slam going till the end" don't be like me, take readings when the sun is out every two hours, concentrate on FC and nothing else. Keep the FC at slam levels by adding more bleach if it drops after the two hours, and dont stop. Add your final bleach for the day at sundown so the sun wont burn it off.

If in the morning at sunrise if your FC loss is less than 1PPM you are doing well.

Eventually you will come to the realization that I did, it is easier to maintain the pool and prevent algae from blooming than it is to fight it all the time.

Hang in there, these folks do know what they are talking about.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.