Question about an older in-ground pool/spa

LeakyLarry

Nov 16, 2023
Florida
Question about an older in-ground pool/spa

I have a single VSP that feeds 5 Jets in the hot tub and two additional Jets in the pool. It's run by an i-aqualink system. There is a waterfall fountain feature from the spa to the pool.

In spa mode, the main drain closes, the spa drain opens, and the heater recycles the water in the spa to heat it up quickly. In pool mode, the heater pumps into the spa and the pool Jets and the main drain opens and spa drain shuts. The 5th jet in the spa only opens in pool mode, so all 5. In spa mode, only 4 Jets function.

So this leads to my question:

I have a leaking, what appears to be, old air vent. When in spa mode, the VSP goes up to about 3400 RPM but there is no bubbling effect. Normal pool operation cycles VSP from 3000-1500 RPM over the schedule before it turns off at night.

There is also a 3 foot pipe that comes out near here in my yard that appears to be another vent.

I don't believe the in-ground vent on the pool deck that is leaking nor the pipe coming out of the ground do anything at this point. The in ground vent cap was jury-rigged with flex seal tape and Teflon tape to just act as a plug. I talked to my pool company and they (and I) think we can just seal both. Is that correct? Or will it cause issues? I don't care about bubbles. I just want a non-leaking system.

The spa is 2-3 feet above the pool. It's all in-ground with bondcoat.

Welcome to the forum!

The air vent is necessary in order for the spa jets to work properly. If the air vent is plugged, then you won't get the massaging effect from the spa jets. Also, it can also force water back into the air vent which may be why it is leaking. I would try unplugging the vent and if necessary, use a shop vac to force air into the vent to clear the water out of the lines.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.