question about adding chemicals

Ok, so it's been an hour and my FC is still reading pretty high. When I took the FC to begin with it was 1. I assumed 33000 gallon pool FC 1 CYA 80 and my ph was actually at 7.8. I put in 8 bottles of 182 oz Chlorox. I tested at 30 mins and at 1 hour and my FC was around 23 both times. My water does look like it's getting lighter but I'm ready to poor in some more bleach. :) What am I doing wrong?

As long as your FC is above 21 do nothing but drink. You may have overshot the target of 21 by a few as the pool calculator says 7.5 gallons or you may have got a good batch of bleach. Either way all is well. Just keep testing and keep it above a FC level of 21. Ignore your ph for now as its going to be a "false reading" with this high level of chlorine. What is your CC levels? All is well we promise ya.

Ps.....we love photos of the process. :)

The only other thing you could be doing is brushing the walls. The more the water is moved the better. Do at least once a day.

But I'd do it every other hour.

Here are some pics. The first is before I started, and the second is maybe an hour and a half ago. I've been brushing those walls, but it's hard to do the deep end floor.

Attachments

• Pool 2.JPG
    Pool 2.JPG
    29.5 KB · Views: 97
  • Pool 1.JPG
    Pool 1.JPG
    46.5 KB · Views: 89
gcates said:
Don't know why the pics are different sizes, but give me some feed back on those. Starting to feel better. The water did drop to 19 FC while I was fooling with those pics, but I just put 2 more gallons in.
From what I can see, you pool color is showing signs of improvement :goodjob: You need to be prepared to continue this process for a few more days. If you can not be by the pool during the day, overshoot your FC level a little so as to remain above 21 ppm when you get back. A breif drop below your shock level is not the end of the world, but too much up and down (where the down is significantly below 21) will make the process take much longer. How often are you checking FC today?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I've got all day today and tomorrow blocked off to be by the pool. Sunday I'll be gone all morning and home probably around 3.

I'm checking FC every hour at least. I feel like I'm gonna run out of R-0870 & R-0871 before this is all over. But the last time I checked (about 30 minutes ago) I was at 25 on my FC. Just got done brushing. I still think it's getting better, but not moving as fast as I'd like. I know it's a process and is gonna take a while. :)

gcates said:
I'm checking FC every hour at least.
Great! The process will benefit from this vigilance.
gcates said:
I feel like I'm gonna run out of R-0870 & R-0871 before this is all over.
Yep, the shocking process takes a lot of reagent. Once you FC drop starts getting smaller, you can spread out your testing and dosing.
gcates said:
I know it's a process and is gonna take a while. :)
It is called POP...pool owner patience.

The process isn't like a "magic fix" the pool stores like to sell ya.....only to see you back in about a week with a green pool still. This process is one that rids your pool of 99.5% of all of the garbage in your pool and sets you up to maintain your pool with little work. If the process is followed to a T then there's no way algae can grow in the pool under normal conditions. After it's done a quick PH and FC test daily, followed by a quick 1/2 gallon of bleach. Then once a week run a full test and fix any issues if any. That's it......honest!

Looking good and you've caught onto the process. You'll start seeing more and more progress soon.

Man, thank you guys so much for all of your help. I'm a person who likes to learn to do things so I don't have to pay someone, but I also get frustrated when things aren't going the way I like. You've given me good info and encouraged me at the same time!

It's 5:30 here now and will be getting dark in about 2 hours. Last check (4:58) I was at 22 FC. So I'm assuming That I'll need to put in some more chlorox at 6 or 7 at the latest. How much above 22 FC to you recommend I shoot for to get me through the night? Thanks again for all the help. I'll post a new pic in the morning!!

Night time may use less since the sun won't be doing quite as much to the FC but it is hard to predict how much less. Just a guess here but it looks like you lost 3 ppm in 3 hours? So if you are going to leave it untested for 10 hours, and using the current FC consumption rate, 10 hours X 1 ppm/hr + 21 ppm + 2 ppm (for safety margin/higher kill rates at higher FC) = 33 ppm. A general rule of thumb is if you are below you mustard algae shock level (I get 44 ppm FC for you 80 ppm CYA), you shouldn't harm anything. Leaving it that high (44) or higher for long periods of time could cause problems.

Once you get a night under your belt, you may be more capable of predicting what to put in the next night.

Gcates, periodically check your filter pressure this weekend. As it fills up with all that garbage the pressure will rise. Backwashing may be required. Hang in there, your getting a hold of it!

Alright, so it's been almost 24 hours and I'm really pleased! :-D set my fc to 33 last night and this morning I was at 22.5. I'm leaving for a few hours so I went ahead and put in some more bleach and I'll check fc and brush when I get back. I took a few more pics and will post when I get home.

I do have a question. There is what looks like a white foam on the water. Not a heavy soapy foam, just looks scattered and real light. Is that normal? I'll also post pics of that when I get home. And can I but the regents at a pool store? Gonna need some more before summer really gets here. Thanks again!!

Foaming can occur if you use certain kinds of algaecide, or if there is a lot of certain rare kinds of pollen that release organic foaming agents as they break down. A little time and perhaps slightly higher than normal FC levels generally takes care of it.

Some of the better pool stores carry a good selection of reagents, but by and large you can only find a very basic selection and need to mail order.

Thanks Jason. My pool guy didn't say he put algeacide. Only liquid shock, so I'm not sure...maybe I have some rare pollen. :) Anyhow, here are two new pics. One from 24 hours of work...and a close up of the foam.

Attachments

• pool 3.JPG
    pool 3.JPG
    254.6 KB · Views: 48
  • pool 4.JPG
    pool 4.JPG
    253.2 KB · Views: 47
I have a question regarding Phosphates in pool water. I test my own pool with a TF kit but I am having an issue holding chlorine. Had an algae bloom about 3 weeks ago- green swamp- Raised chlorine above 20 ppm for about a week. The pool is clear blue ans sparkling. I have a 12000 gal fiberglas pool. Anyway this am I took a sample to local pool place and they tested my water. I was really interested in calcium and CYA readings. My CYA is 20. Since I switched to the BBB method I have never had a problem with high CYA- usually keep it about 60 using pucks now and again. This spring has been rainy and windy so water has been added to the pool and I thought this could explain the drop in CYA. Anyway this morning the guy at the pool place told me my phospate reading was 1000 when it should be between 0-100.He said that phosphates act as food for algae and wants me to use a product called Phosaway. Does any of this sound correct to anyone?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.