Quantity of liquid chlorine needed to maintain FC level vs CYA level

swamprat69

Mar 30, 2019
Las Vegas, NV
Just drained and refilled pool to lower salt level and TDS from years of liquid chlorine and evaporation with high hardness fill water. Have been bringing chemicals up to correct levels. Currently FC 5.5 (evening), PH 7.8, TA 90, CH 250 and CYA 50. Height of summer here in Las Vegas and I have found that I am needing 1 gal. of 10% liquid chlorine to maintain proper FC in a 15K pool (~ + 6.7 FC/day UV+ usage). Would raising the CYA to 60, thereby increasing my minimum FC from 4 to 5 and my target FC from 6-8 to 7-9 result in an increase or decrease in the total volume of 10% liquid chlorine needed to maintain correct FC levels??? Just trying to find out if raising CYA would result in more quantitative LC usage. NOTE: May be using pucks if I take a vacation, so CYA may be going up later this year. Havent been in pool yet as I was out of town, so I am assuming any FC usage not due to UV would be minimal???

SR,

A lot of pool owners in your area run CYA of 60 or more.

In theory, the FC usage should go down, but your Target goes up. Once you get your FC up to your target, it should take less chlorine to keep it there.

I suggest that you look at getting a Saltwater Chlorine Generator (SWCG). It makes no sense to me to use Liquid Chlorine when a saltwater pool just makes its own chlorine. :scratch:

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.