PVC Pipe - Heat Bending Question

lasvegas1976

Gold Supporter
Oct 19, 2022
Las Vegas
I had my pool skimmer replaced earlier today as part of my ongoing redesign and while they were replumbing that area, I saw something that I had never seen before.

During the breaking of the concrete, a pool pipe in the area was broken. I noticed the broken pool pipe was not a straight shot from end to end, it had a curve to it (likely due to circular design of the pool).

They used a large blowtorch looking device to heat the new PVC to give it a slight bend and then installed the new section (PVC 1120 NSF was some of the writing I caught on the pipe).

I've heard plumbers discourage the heating of PVC pipes (not sure if residential PVC pipes are the same), but the plumbers who handled the job insisted this process is quite common and they do it almost every day, especially for brand new pools being built.

Hoping to get some insight before they concrete the area.

The electrician I was working for taught me how to do it in 5 minutes and I was ok enough after 10 attempts. Now, plumbing pipes need a greater skill than electric to retain the strength, but it shouldn't be a problem for anyone experienced.

Reactions: lasvegas1976
Man I remember the first time an experienced plumber showed me how to heat/bend pipe...what an aha moment. I had been pulling my hair out trying to figure out how to make connections and trying to find 22.5 degree fittings, digging tons of extra trench, and god only know how many extra fittings I used.

Reactions: Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.