Chicago, IL
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Salt & Swim 3C
We are having some construction done on the house that requires about a week of demo/framing where we want to put the winter cover on the pool to protect it during the process. In order to keep it clear during this hot week, my thoughts are:

1. Add a large bag of shock (3lb) the night before
2. wait an hour or two to degas (recommended from pool store)
3. Add bottle of algicide
4. Put on winter cover (all at night right before pump shuts off)
5. Pump will shut off shortly after this, but will leave on timer for the week (6am-9pm)

I'll check levels daily at the skimmer and leave swg at it's maintenance setting during demo while it's covered

Am I good? Any suggestions?

TIA

I'd cover it as is, and with the cover blocking most of the UV, your regular SWG schedule/ settings will overporduce and be more than you need.

Or go ask the pool store and be prepared to buy shock and algecide that you don't need with even the most basic understanding. Your choice if they are ignorant, or crooks.

Reactions: jkarn
What Newdude said! Since you have a SWG and you are not closing the pool you should be fine. I have our pool covered with a solar cover, it gets a lot of sunlight and it loses very little chlorine using liquid chlorine (I haven't started my SWG yet). If you want added piece of mind (not really needed IMO) buy a bottle of liquid chlorine or regular bleach (nothing added to it, no smells) and add it to the pool with the filter on and add it to the pool.

We are having some construction done on the house that requires about a week of demo/framing where we want to put the winter cover on the pool to protect it during the process. In order to keep it clear during this hot week, my thoughts are:

1. Add a large bag of shock (3lb) the night before
2. wait an hour or two to degas (recommended from pool store)
3. Add bottle of algicide
4. Put on winter cover (all at night right before pump shuts off)
5. Pump will shut off shortly after this, but will leave on timer for the week (6am-9pm)

I'll check levels daily at the skimmer and leave swg at it's maintenance setting during demo while it's covered

Am I good? Any suggestions?

TIA
You don’t need any of that stuff. Just put your cover on and maybe turn down the SWG a notch. Leave the pump on.

I would do as Newdude suggests. Without turning down the SWG, I wouldn't be surprised if your FC would be approaching SLAM levels after a week of the pool being covered. I run my pool several weeks in the spring with the winter cover on during pollen season.

Heh, something told me I was being sold some bs. Now I even have to ask if my fc levels can be managed with the swg (every once in awhile I put it to superchlorinate for an hour or 2), should I still shock weekly? Probably should search through the other forum... Thanks everyone!

, should I still shock weekly? Probably should search through the other forum... Thanks everyone!
I was looking for an appropriate emoji but couldn’t find the right one…no you don’t need to shock weekly if you keep the chlorine level correct. Use the FC/CYA chart to determine what your chlorine level needs to be. The super chlorinate button isn’t needed either.

We recommend the TFP pro or Taylor K2006C test kit.
The K1001 does not tell you what you need to know for our process.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.