Purpose for vacuum relief valve without solar system?

bad144

Jan 21, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
My pool system has an automatic relief valve plumbed in to the system right after the filter pump and before the cartridge filter. I had always assumed it was an extra credit air pressure relief valve. But it just started seeping water (slow drip) from the valve so I took a closer look and found that it really a Watts vacuum relief valve, this one: N36 Water Service Vacuum Relief Valves, Vacuum Relief Valves, Water Safety Flow Control - Watts

I asked my pool maintenance person about it and he doesn't know why I even have one. Huh? Since this valve is made of brass and only 3/4" it doesn't seem to even be meant for a pool system, and the brass is corroding from the chlorine. So, any reason why I shouldn't just remove this and cap it off?

My pool system doesn't have a solar system, just a regular jandy gas heater. I also have modern drain covers that should be Virginia graeme baker compatible, so no special SVRS requirement. My best guess is that this valve was added as some sort of misguided way to please an inspector who called for SVRS. I suspect the valve is actually interfering with my suction performance during manual cleaning (when the pump easily loses prime).

I can dream up a possible reason or two, but neither would be correct! Yep, take it out.

Is your pump above the pool?

It shouldn't interfere with suction because it's on the pressure side of the pump, but it would definitely cause the pump to have to re-prime every start, if the pump is above the waterline.

It was likely placed , by a devious (to save a couple 100$) or ignorant (uniformed, not low IQ) individual, or demanded by an ignorant inspector during early adoption of SVRS.. either way, it isn’t approved to satisfy or serve that purpose.

My pool system has an automatic relief valve plumbed in to the system right after the filter pump and before the cartridge filter. I had always assumed it was an extra credit air pressure relief valve. But it just started seeping water (slow drip) from the valve so I took a closer look and found that it really a Watts vacuum relief valve, this one: N36 Water Service Vacuum Relief Valves, Vacuum Relief Valves, Water Safety Flow Control - Watts

I asked my pool maintenance person about it and he doesn't know why I even have one. Huh? Since this valve is made of brass and only 3/4" it doesn't seem to even be meant for a pool system, and the brass is corroding from the chlorine. So, any reason why I shouldn't just remove this and cap it off?

My pool system doesn't have a solar system, just a regular jandy gas heater. I also have modern drain covers that should be Virginia graeme baker compatible, so no special SVRS requirement. My best guess is that this valve was added as some sort of misguided way to please an inspector who called for SVRS. I suspect the valve is actually interfering with my suction performance during manual cleaning (when the pump easily loses prime).

Wow— how’d I miss the last paragraph of the post. Great mind! [emoji106]

Btw- drain covers alone don’t make VGB compliance. Flow rate, velocity & sump dimensions used with proper cover are needed.

Does Cali require VGB for residential pools?

Wow— how’d I miss the last paragraph of the post. Great mind! [emoji106]

Btw- drain covers alone don’t make VGB compliance. Flow rate, velocity & sump dimensions used with proper cover are needed.

Does Cali require VGB for residential pools?
I'm not sure, I'm just the poor residential owner, not the suspicious builder :) But my read of the VGB would indicate that SVRS would only be necessary in situations where there are just 1 drain, ie normally not necesary.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.