Pureline Prime VSP PL2625 New leak at opening?

kchinger

Aug 20, 2017
Southeast PA
Winterized like always. Trying to get open today. Put the filter on recirculating since I didn't have water to the skimmers yet to add DE, put the valves to pull only from the main drain, and as I'm writing this I realized what I did wrong.

I left the return plugs in.

So the pump seemed to pull prime, but would occasionally surge and start leaking from underneath, I guess from the gasket between the pump and the motor probably. It was probably stalling from the pressure I guess.

Did I do any damage? I'm guessing I caused a lot of pressure on my pressure side. I'll remove the plugs and run from the skimmers tomorrow, but I guess if it doesn't leak then no harm done?

If it still leaks is there a rebuild kit? I didn't find one on Inyo website. Is there just a single gasket I can replace? Just undo those big bolts between motor and pump and replace and tighten basically?

Thanks.

I guess if it doesn't leak then no harm done?
That would be the ideal scenario. You'll have to monitor it for a bit to see if anything ruptured from the back-pressure.
If it still leaks is there a rebuild kit?
If it does leak, post a pic of the leaking location. Probably around the seal plate area. Also post some pics of the pump and the ID label(s). We can try to help you find the correct kit to go with that pump.

Yep. I messed it up probably. Leaks pretty good at high pump speeds. I'm still running it and got chlorine in, but it's not gonna last the season leaking that badly.

PureLine Prime Variable Speed Pool Pump 1.65 HP Salt Friendly PL2625 is what my invoice says.

Video here, pictures below. Both the plugs are finger tight and don't seem to be leaking.

Let me know what other info you need.

PXL_20230421_194046651.jpg
PXL_20230421_194108234.jpgPXL_20230421_194122180.jpgPXL_20230421_194116854.jpgPXL_20230421_194134919.jpg

I believe you're looking at a bad gasket at the seal plate. In the link below, that's item #10. Now for a few bucks more you can just get the entire "Go-Kit2Salt" (Top of the parts listing). I believe the backwards pressure from leaving the return jets plugged compromised the weakest place in your plumbing system - the seal plate gasket.

Let's get a second opinion to be sure though. @1poolman1, thoughts?

Thanks. That link is for 2705 and the strainer basket looks very different. Mine is 2625.

There's no rebuild kit shown. But the gasket is part 12 looks like.

Well, I replaced it all today, some good news, some bad. The good, all the pieces fit, except for the housing gasket, the one thing I was actually trying to fix. The one they sent is completely flat, the old one is T shaped. They're the right diameter. The old one was so stretched out I can see why it was leaking so badly. The new one still leaks though, although less. I called and they said they changed the gasket but it still works for that pump and motor. I have doubts, but they said to relube it and tighten it some more, so I'll try that tomorrow I guess. Seems really stupid. It doesn't look like it would work at all, since it's just going to crush randomly against the face of the motor, not slot in smoothly anywhere or anything.

The motor itself is in pretty rough shape inside. I'm hoping most of it didn't get past the seal, but it's not promising. Hopefully it has another few years in it. It's only had 4 seasons on it. I was hoping for much more than that. There's also some damage to the diffuser and the impeller. Nothing major, not sure what happened there. I've attached a few pics for interest sake. The motor spun about the same before and after. I can feel the poles, but as I spin it it's pretty smooth other than that.

Attachments

• PXL_20230510_182734626.jpg
    PXL_20230510_182734626.jpg
    317.9 KB · Views: 4
  • PXL_20230510_183215136.jpg
    PXL_20230510_183215136.jpg
    301.4 KB · Views: 5
  • PXL_20230510_181020030.jpg
    PXL_20230510_181020030.jpg
    392.8 KB · Views: 5
  • PXL_20230510_181345100.jpg
    PXL_20230510_181345100.jpg
    473.4 KB · Views: 5
Reactions: Texas Splash
Nope. Still leaking. I removed it. Cleaned it up. Relubed, reseated it flat against the motor side (ignored the slit on the pump side that the old gasket seated into). Tightened it until the bolts were screaming. No luck. Gonna see if they can send me something better I guess.

• Sad
Reactions: Texas Splash

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Pleas see this thread for the previous issues. Summary, when I opened this year in April I had a leak from the pump/motor junction. I went ahead and used the rebuild kit to replace everything since I had it open anyway. The kit they sent me maybe had a defective seal at the junction, but I was too lazy to worry about it, and it was just a small leak, so I figured I'd try again this offseason with the new rebuild kit they sent me to fix the bad one.

Ran fine all year, minus the little bit of leakage from the pump/motor seal.

Came home from a few days of vacation to a motor that sounds like gravel. It was fine when we left. I need to close this week anyway, so I just shut the motor off, I'll circulate with a portable pump and skimming and robot and stuff, and I'll just use the pump for a few minutes to backwash but other than that I'll drain using a portable pump.

I'll maybe know more once I pull it apart, but I don't understand how it was fine for 5 months and then suddenly the motor sounds trashed? How does that happen? I'm assuming I'll need to buy a new motor, but that seems ridiculous. It's only had 5 seasons on it. And I just did the rebuild kit. If I messed up the rebuild kit (or it was bad somehow) wouldn't that have trashed it a lot quicker than that? Or with some sort of signs along the way instead of just "good/trashed"?

Your pump was rough when you rebuilt it in the spring.

I would buy a new pump and not throw more money into this pump.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.