Pumps Short-cycling with Freeze Protection Mode, Jandy RS6

JP1

Oct 31, 2023
Dallas Metro
Hello All, tried searching for an answer but not successful.

I had a Jandy JXi heater installed with an existing Jandy RS6 controller (not wi-fi enabled). Since then, whenever freeze protection mode is enabled the system short-cycles the pumps on and off every few minutes, rather than the pumps turning on at the set temperature and staying on continuously until the air temp warms above the set temp for freeze protection. Needless to say, this puts a lot of wear and tear on the pumps and is not the way the system should operate.

At first I thought maybe the air temp sensor was bad and I replaced it with a new one, but it did not solve the problem. I admit that I should have bought an OEM Jandy sensor, but I cheaped out. But since it is doing the same thing as the old sensor, I’m guessing it is a communication issue.

I attempted several trouble-shooting steps. I disconnected the terminal for the in-ground spa controller as I read that can cause “ghosting” which causes the pumps to cycle, I attempted several power-downs at the circuit breaker, I cleared the system memory and reprogrammed everything, etc. No luck.

I have noticed the air temp sensor always seems to read 39 degrees which is the set temp to enable freeze protection. It seems to always read 39 even when outside air temp is several degrees lower. It also seems to read high most days when the air temp is warmer. I’m not sure if there is a calibration setting or not, but would need an accurate air temp to calibrate anyway. Perhaps this is causing the system to think it is at the borderline temperature and is causing the system to get confused and cycle back and forth?

I purchased a new OEM Jandy/Zodiac 7790 sensor but am reluctant to open it until I can confirm it is a sensor issue rather than an Aqualink issue.

I also noticed all the long sensor wires are rolled up and stuffed tightly into the box rather than being trimmed to length. Is it okay to trim the temp sensor wires to length, or will that adversely affect resistance?

Any thoughts or ideas to resolve this would be very much appreciated. Thank you.

Try swapping the air and water probes. They are the same. Also try lowering your freeze protect temp to like 34.

Hello All, tried searching for an answer but not successful.

I had a Jandy JXi heater installed with an existing Jandy RS6 controller (not wi-fi enabled). Since then, whenever freeze protection mode is enabled the system short-cycles the pumps on and off every few minutes, rather than the pumps turning on at the set temperature and staying on continuously until the air temp warms above the set temp for freeze protection. Needless to say, this puts a lot of wear and tear on the pumps and is not the way the system should operate.

At first I thought maybe the air temp sensor was bad and I replaced it with a new one, but it did not solve the problem. I admit that I should have bought an OEM Jandy sensor, but I cheaped out. But since it is doing the same thing as the old sensor, I’m guessing it is a communication issue.

I attempted several trouble-shooting steps. I disconnected the terminal for the in-ground spa controller as I read that can cause “ghosting” which causes the pumps to cycle, I attempted several power-downs at the circuit breaker, I cleared the system memory and reprogrammed everything, etc. No luck.

I have noticed the air temp sensor always seems to read 39 degrees which is the set temp to enable freeze protection. It seems to always read 39 even when outside air temp is several degrees lower. It also seems to read high most days when the air temp is warmer. I’m not sure if there is a calibration setting or not, but would need an accurate air temp to calibrate anyway. Perhaps this is causing the system to think it is at the borderline temperature and is causing the system to get confused and cycle back and forth?

I purchased a new OEM Jandy/Zodiac 7790 sensor but am reluctant to open it until I can confirm it is a sensor issue rather than an Aqualink issue.

I also noticed all the long sensor wires are rolled up and stuffed tightly into the box rather than being trimmed to length. Is it okay to trim the temp sensor wires to length, or will that adversely affect resistance?

Any thoughts or ideas to resolve this would be very much appreciated. Thank you.
Cutting the wires will cause zero issues.

Just wanted to follow up in case it helps anyone else.

I installed the OEM thermostat and relocated it to a different location. This seems to have done the trick.

Guessing the OEM unit has nothing to do with it, but relocating the sensor is what did the trick. Temp readings are now more accurate and the pumps are not cycling.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.