Jul 27, 2012
My pool pump quit about 2 years ago and I replaced it with what I thought was the same HP pump, but the water coming out of the eyes is ridiculous. You literally can not sit/stand in front of them as it blasts out of them, almost like being in a hot tub. My original pump was a Sta-Rite Max E Pro that I thought was 1 1/2 HP, but maybe it was only a 1/2 HP??? Don't have the old material or pump anymore. Can you all all help me figure out what I need here so I can rectify this problem before the new season starts? Thanks!

Install a valve on the discharge side of the pump so you can manually throttle to lower flow.
You maybe able to install a larger eyeball in your return. That will lower the velocity but not really decrease the volume of flow.

Last edited:
Get a VS pump and then you can adjust the HP and flow to whatever works best for your setup.

Install a valve on the discharge side of the pump so you can manually throttle to lower flow.
You maybe able to install a larger eyeball in your return. That will lower the velocity but not really decrease the volume of flow.
I like this idea of installing a valve, seems the most cost effective, will this not put undo strain on the pump?

No, throttling a simple pump does bother it. It will decrease you watts usage because you will be pumping less gallons. It is a common myth that it hurts pumps. Just do not deadhead because then you will burn up your seals. I would check it first to determine if you burned up the seals already. If they are, you can replace the seals for around $30 or if you want spend the money you could go with the VS route. The VS will cover your ROI in a few years.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.