columbia station / OH
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45 Plus
So I open the pool this year and my 2HP super pump is leaking a good volume out the bottom. After losing a ton of water the pool is open, clean, and I am ready to take on the pump. I buy all new gaskets and replace them. To my surprise it doesn't fix the problem. I hold my breath and go in the pool store to see if they can help. I get sold a 2nd set of gaskets, even though I told the guy I just replaced them with his same gaskets yesterday, and he installs them. I asked what happens if I go home and it leaks and he says "then it is time for a new pump because the plastic could have warped". Is this a real thing? The pump is 5 years old. The motor appears fine, except there is a leak from under the black part. We couldn't find any cracks. Do I need to buy a new pump?

Seal plate is warped possibly, people resort to all kinds of things to stop a leaking Hayward pump with a warped seal plate, the first thing they do is to smear silicone all over the band gasket and the groove the gasket goes into, DO NOT DO THIS!! it did not come from the factory like that, the band gasket is always installed dry, and on a good seal plate always seals properly, the next thing done in trying to stop the leak is to over tighten the 6 bolts that hold it together, this will pull the brass inserts out of the noryl black plastic pump housing and ruin the pump.

Hayward pumps that will not stop leaking with a properly installed new band gasket, and pump seal, are not worth repairing as a rule, and have usually been damaged by excessive heat from running dry.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.