pump won't prime after filter cleaning

Oct 15, 2015
DFW, TX
IntelliFlo VS pump won't prime after I cleaned out the filters (pentair CCP). equipment pad is a long ways from the pool but the filter basket is half full of water when I try to prime. I've let the hose run for several minutes to make sure there's water in the supply lines and have opened the air relief valve on the filter. priming at top speed (3100 rpm) and it'll occasionally get the basket full of water and looking good but then 'backwashes' (not sure of the actual term) and is then unable to suck enough water back in to complete the prime. I did clean the salt cell at the same time but everything looks good and tight. o-rings on the filter lid, etc.. are all in good working condition and appears to have a good seal.

any other tips from the masses?

- - - Updated - - -

I did check the impeller for blockage as well.. nothing at least when accessed from the filter basket side.

Darin,

An IntelliFlo will suck the paint off a wall, so obviously something is wrong...

Assuming it was working well before you cleaned the filter, then most likely it is something that you did...

Some ideas...

Did you drop the pump lid O-Ring?

Are the Intake valves all open?

Are the Return valves all open?

As Dave points out.. is the water at the middle of the skimmer or higher? Is the Weir door stuck up?

Before this happened were you manually vacuuming things like large leaves?

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

this might be typical but worth mentioning.. there's a significant amount of airflow/circulation near the arrow above when pump is priming.. doesn't appear it's coming from the pvc joint above but hard to tell.. should I be noticing any airflow from there or might that be indicative of a leak from the pump or (more likely?) from the pvc joint?

intelliflo.jpg

I've been letting the Dolphin robot handle all the cleaning. we have only small trees surrounding the pool and little debris as a result. O-ring is there for the pump lid. all valves are open (or I at least think they are). PB didn't bother to label anything so not sure what's what on the suction side.

dbtgallery.php

dbtgallery.php

Darin,

So on the first pic... only one of the four pump inputs is open... the one on the left.. the other three are closed.

I would assume that the pipes coming out of the ground are (left to right) Main Drain, Skimmer1, Skimmer2, Vacuum Port... But that is just a guess as it really depends on how your plumber set them up... I would turn the two closed valves so that the handles points down... This will turn on everything.... I would then try the pump and see if it will prime..

I can see no obvious reason for the pump not to prime... They used pump unions to install your pump so that is good.. If it still won't prime, I would make sure they are tight...

The other pic shows the return valve which I assume turns on a waterfall.. It appears to be in the correct position.. returns open and waterfall off...

Thanks for the pics...

Jim R.

so that note about 'checking all the basics'.. weir doors were stuck up... fixed that and able to prime.. I did turn those 2 other handles down and the psi jumped from 2 to 5 so that's a good sign.

Jim- I owe ya lunch the next time I'm in Bedford! :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.