Pump will not stop running.

BMyers

In The Industry
Oct 14, 2023
Dallas TX
The Inermatic timer seems to be working correctly, but pump continues to run, power must be switched off at the breaker to turn off the pump. I've tried replacing the Intermatic Timer, but apparently this is not the problem... new timer will not turn off pump either. Still have to turn off breaker.

B,

That just seems to be impossible... :mrgreen: :poke:

Are you sure that the original timer was bad and that you just mis-wired the new timer... ??

Did your old timer come with freeze protect?? Was it also replaced??

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: Newdude
Welcome to TFP! :wave:

Post a few pics showing the inside of the timer with the wire connections and of the pump.
What model of Intermatic timer?
What manufacturer and model of pump?

The Inermatic timer seems to be working correctly, but pump continues to run, power must be switched off at the breaker to turn off the pump. I've tried replacing the Intermatic Timer, but apparently this is not the problem... new timer will not turn off pump either. Still have to turn off breaker.
Is there a separate switch for the pump in addition to the timeclock? If so, turn it off. On some older pools there would be a "backwash" switch wired in parallel with the timeclock so that the clock did not have to be switched on and off to backwash a filter. Haven't seen it in many years, but there are still some out there.

Reactions: Hootz and Jimrahbe
You've got the pump wires under the wrong screw on the timer. They are on the input side instead of the output side. The input side is always on, the output side is only on when the timer is turned on.

Please understand that nothing had been touched in the way of wiring when this began. Everything was working properly, and had been forever and it’s suddenly stopped turning off.

I did replace the timer. All wiring went back exactly as it was on the old timer and it did
the same thing as the old timer.

I came home one day and went to backwash the filter, only to find out that the pump would not turn off, unless I turned off the breaker. Nothing has been worked on at that time.

B,

So.. you have either invented a pump that runs without electricity, or something is wrong.. :mrgreen:

Either way, we can't help you, if you won't help us..

Show us some pics of everything, including how the timer is wired. As Poolman points out, you may have a second switch in the circuit that provides power to the pump, without going through the timer.

At first blush, what you say is impossible, so we need to figure out what could possibly make it work.

Thanks,

Jim R.

It appears that my replies from the weekend didn't go through using my phone. Please see below.

Attached, you will find pictures of the pump and the timers. I’m also including a video to show you what it takes to switch it off.

The pump is a Pentair
The Intermatic timer is model number T104MK
The timer on the right is for the booster pump, which is working fine.

If there is anything you can help me with, I would appreciate it. Thank you.
Attached, you will find pictures of the pump and the timers. I did a video but I can not attach it.

The pump is a Pentair
The Intermatic timer is model number T104MK
The timer on the right is for the booster pump, which is working fine.

If there is anything you can help me with, I would appreciate it. Thank you.

Attachments

• image8 (1).jpeg
    image8 (1).jpeg
    68.2 KB · Views: 16
  • image7 (1).jpeg
    image7 (1).jpeg
    72.8 KB · Views: 16
  • image6 (5).jpeg
    image6 (5).jpeg
    75.7 KB · Views: 15
  • image5 (3).jpeg
    image5 (3).jpeg
    73.7 KB · Views: 13
B,

You have freeze control... Most likely your freeze control system has gone bad and this is telling the pump to constantly run.

It is hard to tell in the pic, but I would disconnect the wires from freeze control and see if your pump stops.

If you can show some bigger pics of the wiring, we can give you a better ideas of what wires to disconnect.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.