Edmond, OK
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45 Plus
I can get it to prime sometimes but it takes forever and I have to manually 'assist' by blocking jets and giving resistance at the pool intake vacuum port by covering partially with my hand. I have put silicone grease on all o-rings and fittings. When I prime the pump by filling the basket the water never fills it seems to just flow to the pool unrestricted. When pump starts it sucks the basket dry and won't pull water beyond that. Sand filter no bleeder valve. Pics of setup were too large. Will downsize and attach. It has always been hard to prime but usually once I get it the first time it clears air in the lines and gets easier. Pool was uncovered and full of leaves. I netted most leaves out but still lots of other organics. Was vacuuming through filter, but was having to backwash often. Tried vacuuming to waste but was loosing prime. Is my waste hose too short? I am at wits end with this any assistance is greatly appreciated. This forum was great a few years ago with helping me figure out chemistry, but I can't get that right without the pump working.

I don't think the waste line has anything to do with it. I'd be more concerned with the suction side. The fact that you can't keep water in the pump pot when filling it tells me there is an open air leak somewhere. That's my thought anyway. I'm wondering if that 3-way valve before the pump is letting air in? Maybe remove that top (8 screws) and check the large O-ring and shaft O-ring. If your skimmer and drain share the same line underground, is the drain connected to the skimmer bottom? If so, maybe close the drain port (if possible) so the water is pulled from the skimmer only? If none of those work, try priming from the vacuum line only first.

I opened the valve and greased the oring but it is in pretty bad shape. Likely culprit? I've ordered a new one. No way to isolate skimmer from drain. I usually prime with the vacuum port first.

Reactions: Texas Splash
Yes, had a hard priming pool last week and grabbed a kit including the stem from my stock. The rest was history. No mention of the height difference between the pool and equipment but in my case it was more then the norm and the check valves weren't up to snuff eventhough I eventually got it to prime but that's getting changed out too as I don't need this to repeat.