Jun 6, 2022
Magnolia, Tx
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello TPF-ers,

i have a 15k gallon pool in the Houston, Texas area. It’s a very basic pool, no spa, heater, etc. just 2 skimmer baskets and 4 returns and 1 hook up for a pressure side cleaner.

We've used our pool some over the last few years and are hoping to decrease our electricity cost associate with running the pool pumps. When we moved in in october of 2020, the pool had a 1hp main pump, a pool cleaner pump and a 200sqft cartridge filter. During the great freeze of Feb, 2021 we had all of our pumps crack and freeze. We had a new baby at home and a deep green pool so i found the cheapest option on facebook marketplace to get back a filtering and running system.

I put on an old Nautilus NSP 48sqft DE filter, and a 1.5hp main pump, i believe it is a single speed pump Pentair Challenger that had a replacement motor put on it at some point. We also have a Polaris 1hp cleaner pump in series after the filter. We used a pressure side(Polaris) cleaner last summer, but its more finicky than its worth right now.

To help with water temps and chlorine usage part way through last season I added sun-shades over the pool for like 70-80% coverage

I’ve been looking at different options to save money, right now we are running the main pump for ~6 hours a day total, but I’d like to run it more often, but at a lower flow to help with dust/debris accumulation. We have ~30pine trees on our lot and trees leaves and dust seem to be our big contaminates.

Currently run the main pump 2 hours from 1p-3p and 4 hours 8p-midnight. I use a smart 240v switch controlled by smartthings to schedule my pump right now. Reading online a VFD motor but keeping my pump head seems like the next best step and good ROI, but wanted to make sure it is the right fit. I’m very DIY heavy and am comfortable with this type of update, I like the challenger for spare parts availability and cheap repairs.

This is the VFD motor im currently looking at:

Century (A.O. Smith) V-Green EVO 1.65 HP Up Rate VS Motor, Square Flange 48Y Frame, Variable Speed - Model EVQ165 Century (A.O. Smith) V-Green EVO 1.65 HP Up Rate VS Motor, Square Flange 48Y Frame, Variable Speed - Model EVQ165 - INYOPools.com

Is 600rpm slow enough to achieve the low flow target for $$$ savings?
Is there other budget friendly options that have 1-1.5 year ROI?
Do I need to size-up or size down to better fit my pool? I’ve read a few people talk about going to a 3HP pump to get better flow at lower RPM.

Attachments

• IMG_4949.jpg
    IMG_4949.jpg
    740.4 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_4971.jpg
    IMG_4971.jpg
    741.7 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_4970.jpg
    IMG_4970.jpg
    667.7 KB · Views: 9
Im curious about the tarp - have you tried increasing your cya slightly so you don’t lose your chlorine to sun so readily? I’m assuming you’re using liquid chlorine?

Welcome to TFP.

600 rpm is too slow for your skimmers to work and capture your tree debris.

You have conflicting objectives. Skimmers need good flow through the pool to work effectively. You probably need 1500-2000 rpm, maybe even 2400, for good skimming. Specifics are unique to a pool setup and the pump and impeller.

Hello TPF-ers,

i have a 15k gallon pool in the Houston, Texas area. It’s a very basic pool, no spa, heater, etc. just 2 skimmer baskets and 4 returns and 1 hook up for a pressure side cleaner.

We've used our pool some over the last few years and are hoping to decrease our electricity cost associate with running the pool pumps. When we moved in in october of 2020, the pool had a 1hp main pump, a pool cleaner pump and a 200sqft cartridge filter. During the great freeze of Feb, 2021 we had all of our pumps crack and freeze. We had a new baby at home and a deep green pool so i found the cheapest option on facebook marketplace to get back a filtering and running system.

I put on an old Nautilus NSP 48sqft DE filter, and a 1.5hp main pump, i believe it is a single speed pump Pentair Challenger that had a replacement motor put on it at some point. We also have a Polaris 1hp cleaner pump in series after the filter. We used a pressure side(Polaris) cleaner last summer, but its more finicky than its worth right now.

To help with water temps and chlorine usage part way through last season I added sun-shades over the pool for like 70-80% coverage

I’ve been looking at different options to save money, right now we are running the main pump for ~6 hours a day total, but I’d like to run it more often, but at a lower flow to help with dust/debris accumulation. We have ~30pine trees on our lot and trees leaves and dust seem to be our big contaminates.

Currently run the main pump 2 hours from 1p-3p and 4 hours 8p-midnight. I use a smart 240v switch controlled by smartthings to schedule my pump right now. Reading online a VFD motor but keeping my pump head seems like the next best step and good ROI, but wanted to make sure it is the right fit. I’m very DIY heavy and am comfortable with this type of update, I like the challenger for spare parts availability and cheap repairs.

This is the VFD motor im currently looking at:

Century (A.O. Smith) V-Green EVO 1.65 HP Up Rate VS Motor, Square Flange 48Y Frame, Variable Speed - Model EVQ165 Century (A.O. Smith) V-Green EVO 1.65 HP Up Rate VS Motor, Square Flange 48Y Frame, Variable Speed - Model EVQ165 - INYOPools.com

Is 600rpm slow enough to achieve the low flow target for $$$ savings?
Is there other budget friendly options that have 1-1.5 year ROI?
Do I need to size-up or size down to better fit my pool? I’ve read a few people talk about going to a 3HP pump to get better flow at lower RPM.
If you truly have a 1.5hp Challenger, the impeller is a 2.25THP and the 165 EVO will be overloaded. Look into the Nidec Neptune NPTQ225. It will give you much more control over pump speeds and run times.
It is always best to get the largest total horsepower pump and run lower speeds to get the water movement needed to skim and mix chemicals and save the most energy. The 2.25THP would be a good compromise.