Pump stopped, buzzes and trips breaker

Njmurvin

Nov 8, 2019
Simi Valley, CA

When I turn it on, it sounds to me like the motor is trying to fire up - it buzzes for about 10 seconds and then trips the breaker. I suspect the pump is seized. No leaks.

This pump has a story. I was a customer of American Home Shield home warranty (emphasis on WAS). This pump was installed almost exactly 1 year ago under their warranty program. It is an older "remanufactured" pump (which in their case means spray painted black). It has worked well while I've had it - until it didn't.

Is it worth it or even possible to repair it? How difficult is it to separate the motor from the pump and rebuild the pump assembly (assuming I can get a rebuild kit for it)?

If not, what would be recommended for replacement? I have a 17K gal very basic pool (no spa, no heater, no water features) in So Calif. Although it would be nice to have a variable speed pump, it may be overkill. The existing pump is 2hp (as was its predecessors - it's a 32 year old pool replastered last year). If I can't rebuild my current pump, is it worth the extra cost of variable speed pump? Or should I just replace this with a legitimate remanufactured version or something else?

That was it!!! It was the run capacitor (on top of motor under cover). $32 fix from my local pool supply store. It would have taken only about a minute to replace. However, the capacitor just sits loose inside the cover and the cover is metallic. I was afraid of the motor vibrations moving the capacitor to where the wires might short out. So, I cut out a piece of cardboard to insulate the cover on the side of the capacitor where the wires are. So, it took all of 5 minutes instead.

Thanks so much ... love this forum!!

Reactions: JamesW
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.