Pump starved while vacuuming - AGP

PieterS

Bronze Supporter
Jul 1, 2020
Minneapolis, MN
I modified my Intex pool with two 1.5" inlets to the pump. I don't have a skimmer - so when suction vacuuming the pool, I hook the vacuum up to one of those inlets, and attempt to close the other. When I do so, however, the pump gets starved and ultimately loses pressure. I have to crack open the other inlet to prevent this from happening - but then lose some suction on the vacuum so the cleaning is less effective.

Is this normal, or shoudl I be able to vacuum soley via one inlet and fully close the other?

Thanks!

I'm suspicious the long 1.25" vacuum hose might be too restrictive. I did upgrade the pump last year to a more powerful pump/filter, I don't believe I had this issue prior to that? I'll try closing one inlet during normal pump operation and see what that does (eliminates the long vacuum hose question).

I don't believe I have a suction side leak, during normal filter operation the pump basket stays nicely filled with water and no bubbles.

Reactions: Texas Splash
I don't believe I have a suction side leak, during normal filter operation the pump basket stays nicely filled with water and no bubbles.
Just because you don't have a leak when both suction ports are open, doesn't mean you won't have a leak with one port closed and the other on the cleaner. The pressure drops in the pump basket making it more likely to have a leak. The fact that the pump becomes "starved" and you lose pressure means that there is an air leak.

Well, closing each inlet while in filter mode works just fine - no sucking of air or starving the pump. The vacuum hose I do have is the crappy Intex-supplied hose with several sections - I wouldn't be surprised if some air is sucked in while bobbing on top of the pool. I've been wanting to get rid of that vacuum anyhow, I'll get a true 1.5" one-piece hose and report back!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.