Florida
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60 Plus
Hi- I rebuilt the motor side last February on my main Pool Pump after it was making loud bearing noises
Motor- Century USQ1102 Model C48K2PA105C5
Pump- Dura Glas P2RA5E-181L

It is now starting that whining noise again and I want to do a complete swap out.

Parts are here Sta-Rite Dura-Glas and Max-E-Glas Parts - INYOPools.com

I really want to just get someone to install a complete 1HP unit (motor and pump) already assembled and replace it without having to deal with bearings etc. The impeller is God knows how old

Thoughts?

Hi- I rebuilt the motor side last February on my main Pool Pump after it was making loud bearing noises
Motor- Century USQ1102 Model C48K2PA105C5
Pump- Dura Glas P2RA5E-181L

It is now starting that whining noise again and I want to do a complete swap out.

Parts are here Sta-Rite Dura-Glas and Max-E-Glas Parts - INYOPools.com

I really want to just get someone to install a complete 1HP unit (motor and pump) already assembled and replace it without having to deal with bearings etc. The impeller is God knows how old

Thoughts?
Waterway makes the Power Defender 110. At present it is one of the very few DOE-legal, single-speed pumps available.
If you have a simple pool, no special water features, etc., it would be a good choice.
Pentair also makes a Whisperflow 1.1 and a Max-E-Pro 1.1.

Having installed all three, I can't say one is particularly better than another. It was a matter of availability that made the decision for me at the time, customer needed a pump I and I got what was available after the DOE went into effect. Waterway prices are very good and the pumps move a lot of water.
For future repair, although I have installed many Waterway pumps (about 50) and seldom had to make a repair (3 or 4), parts are easier to get for the Pentair models. Just something to think about.
I've been in the repair business for several decades and that is one of the considerations I look at because everything breaks eventually.

Awesome- thank you so much!- if you know someone in the Jacksonville Florida area you would recommend for installs- please let me know

I have a follow-on question. The Power Defender is Grey in color and therefore I assume not inherently UV stabilized. I am worried about Florida sun weakening the plastic over time.
Also no one here in Jacksonville wants to install a single stage pump :-(

I have a follow-on question. The Power Defender is Grey in color and therefore I assume not inherently UV stabilized. I am worried about Florida sun weakening the plastic over time.
Also no one here in Jacksonville wants to install a single stage pump :-(
Can't help with the install, but Sacramento sun is bad as well. There are many of those pumps, older models that aren't DOE compliant, in use here. UV stabilization doesn't always depend on being black in color, Pentair pumps are beige.

I found someone to install (I got the same guy who did my SWG)

In looking at pricing- variable speed is not really too much difference Should I just go with variable speed? I am thinking single speed is more reliable and less cost efficient but in reading I need to see how to make the SWG work as I assume I don't need a mechanical timer with a variable speed. Also the cost savings in my area bn Jandy is around $500/year

Also can I use say a 1.5HP variable speed in replacing a 1HP single speed and just run it lower- I looked at some pump graphs and it appears that a single speed 1.0HP is actually more GPM than a 1.5HP variable at max RPM
Thanks

Last edited:
Also looking at this 1.5HP VS- Not sure why it says for above ground https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B082YD1PK1/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=AGOKDG42D8KUC&psc=1 is it becasue the difference in actual flow vs a single speed for that HP?

If it does matter- i am looking at a Pentair 1.5HP VS or a Waterway 1.6HP VS and will leave the SWG on the mechanical timer and just align times (not optimal but don't see another solution as I don't want to rely on just the flow sensor)

I also have a Polairs 280 cleaner and separate pump on currently the mechanical timer. I will likely have to get the guy to rewire that so it's not dependent on the main pool pump being on (which it currently is)
Thanks!

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Also looking at this 1.5HP VS- Not sure why it says for above ground https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B082YD1PK1/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=AGOKDG42D8KUC&psc=1 is it becasue the difference in actual flow vs a single speed for that HP?

If it does matter- i am looking at a Pentair 1.5HP VS or a Waterway 1.6HP VS and will leave the SWG on the mechanical timer and just align times (not optimal but don't see another solution as I don't want to rely on just the flow sensor)

I also have a Polairs 280 cleaner and separate pump on currently the mechanical timer. I will likely have to get the guy to rewire that so it's not dependent on the main pool pump being on (which it currently is)
Thanks!
Above ground pumps are very different than inground. For the same energy use [horsepower rating] they move far less water and basically quit moving water when an inground pump of the same horsepower will continue to do so. They are a less-capable pump and cost less.
The Pentair pump you are looking at is a medium-head pump. The Waterway is a high-head, it will move more water as the filter gets dirty (increasing system head), than the Pentair. Many people are very happy with both.
To get the most benefit from a VSP you should get the largest horsepower one you can and then run it at a lower speed to get flow equal to a lower horsepower pump and save energy at the same time. Long, slow runs also allow your SWG to produce enough chlorine to satisfy to pool needs.

Great TY- I am leaning towards the Waterway and will look at the 2.7HP 270 series. I am thinking of typing the SWG to the Polaris in terms of power- I have a 60,000 gal SWG for a 8,000 pool (was done on purpose). Also seeing if VS pumps have self priming issues

Last edited:
Great TY- I am leaning towards the Waterway and will look at the 2.7HP 270 series. I am thinking of typing the SWG to the Polaris in terms of power- I have a 60,000 gal SWG for a 8,000 pool (was done on purpose). Also seeing if VS pumps have self priming issues
No modern inground pump, single or variable, has issues with priming. Unless there is a broken/very worn part (lid, shaft seal, etc.), the issue is always outside; bad/clogged plumbing or installation, missing/broken O ring (there are at least three on a pump), suction valve problem, very dirty filter (if a pump can't push water out it can't pull it in). Don't let that be a concern in choosing a pump.

Another question please- according to this (1:36 min mark)
I can wire the booster pump right in the Waterway 270. has anyone done this? Also trying see the bets way to handle the SWG. If I can eliminate the mechanical timers I will be psyched!

Another question please- according to this (1:36 min mark)
I can wire the booster pump right in the Waterway 270. has anyone done this? Also trying see the bets way to handle the SWG. If I can eliminate the mechanical timers I will be psyched!
You can definitely use the motor on THAT pump in the video to control an auxiliary load, did it many times. However, newer Waterway 2.7 pumps come with Nidec Neptune motors instead of the Century V-Green 2.7.

It will also control an auxiliary load (booster pump, etc.), but the instructions are a little different, though not hard.

The new pump is in- I had to put the bolts into the concrete to secure the mount (installer just placed the motor on the mounts. The installer did a quick job and did not hook the SWG to the Aux port. He also said the Polaris could not be connected there- which makes sense if there is a load issue (manual did not state one) but the SWG should be able to . So right now- the SWG is relying on the float switch for safety which I want to change

The new pump has the Century motor on it.

My SWG needs 20gpm and looks like based on the pump curves I need 1000-1200 rpm so plan on running the new VSP 8 hours a day at 1200 for now which should turn the 8000 gallon pool over once/day

Ideally I want the SWG hooked to the aux and run that at 2200 rpm for 4 hours (adjusting my wayyyyy oversized SWG (60,000 gallon) to maintain Cholrine). Is this a job I can do myself? I am looking for you tube and see the wiring diagram in the manual

Last edited:
I wired it up and changed the run time so its 600 rpm all day except for 12-5pm which it will go 1100rpm and thru the Aux turn the SWG on. I left the timer wiring as is and removed the stops on the main timer and let the Polaris timer alone.

I found out that teh Aux terminal only supported 11A and the booster pump can pull over than on start. Since I have the older Century Vgreen - I only get 3 schedules.

Now just need to tune the SWG.

Thanks all again!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.