pump spewing crud back into pool.

Tere

Bronze Supporter
May 30, 2015
Colorado Springs
This is our 2 nd or 3rd season with our set up. Pre opening the pool I opened the sand filter ( had pea gravel at bottom and then zeoclear) to check for status, didn't need to even clean but it disturbed the contents as the head would not come free from the central pipe. I carefully unloaded all contents and re separated it. Added a new gasket and goop. I didn't have a pressure gauge when I first started it up but I do now. I didn't fill half way with water ( pool supplies said this was bad for laterals not to cushion with water) but gently hand scooped the pea gravel and zeoclear back in. I then used a dolly to go down a hill but I think the filter slid to the side maybe- I remember struggling. Once all hooked up I filled with water and it started up, great. So when I vacuum the pool the stuff come back out. I called poolsupply and they thought broken lateral. Very possible as the trip from garage down to the pool area was bumpy. Lesson learned leave the filter by the pool for winter.

I had added a half cup pool grade DE to see if it would filter better all it did was slow the flow of the pump exhaust. The pressure was up to 20 psi and I don't know the starting pressure. I can't remember it it helped. ( sorry brain lesions)

The pool gets a lot of prairie dirt, it's like fine sand maybe some clay from the wind storms even though the pool has it's solar blanket on.

So just to trouble shoot today ( before dismantling the filter in search of possible broken lateral) I thought maybe back wash and rinse ( I do this till water is clear and it's not very long maybe a minute each setting) out the DE and the pressure after back wash and rinse went from 20 psi down to 8 psi on high and 2 psi on low. I started vacuuming and it seemed better..... Pressure on high went up to 15 psi and decided to re back wash and rinse. And now it's back to the same crud I vac up comes out. Last year the stuff I vacuumed up stayed in the filter till I back washed and rinsed and then it came out. There are like 2-3 leaves and minimal dog fur, so just fine layer of dirt on bottom.

Sorry if this is a muddle. It's very hard to think things through. Is there any other possible problem?

Is a reason for crud coming back out the possible broken lateral? Of course I should have purchased some laterals a few years ago. It was hard work taking all the contents out, I guess I never need a gym member ship.

The water was very clean untill disturbed

Thanks all

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.