Pump speed and duration

Ron55

Bronze Supporter
Jun 23, 2013
SW Florida
I'm new to my current pool and was unsure how long the pump should be running.

I have a Jandy Pro Series CS Filter, Pentair Superflo VST Variable Speed Pump and a 10,000 gallon pool.

Currently the pump is set to run for 6 hours at 2550 and then another 7 hours at 3000.

Any recommendations?

as slow as you can with the skimmers working. The number of hours is up to you. the only reason to run faster is for vacuuming.

Run the pump as slow as you can while still allowing the SWG to generate chlorine.
Set a second speed to skim the surface if the lower SWG speed is insufficient for good skimming. This can even be more than once daily for say an hour or less each time.
Maybe set a third speed if you have suction side cleaner, so it runs efficiently. Might only be a few hours to clean the pool.

Most possibly, the longest run time is that required for the SWG to generate the necessary chlorine.
Only you will know what is needed by experimenting with your runtimes.

Currently the pump is set to run for 6 hours at 2550 and then another 7 hours at 3000.
Ron,

So... tell me why you are running at 2250... What happens during those 6 hours?

Then tell me why you would ever run at 3000??? What is your goal during those 7 hours???

The whole point of having a VS pump is to save money on your electrical bill. At 3000 RPM, you might as well just have a single speed pump. :(

Thanks,

Jim R.

Ron,

So... tell me why you are running at 2250... What happens during those 6 hours?

Then tell me why you would ever run at 3000??? What is your goal during those 7 hours???

The whole point of having a VS pump is to save money on your electrical bill. At 3000 RPM, you might as well just have a single speed pump. :(

Thanks,

Jim R.
These were the settings on the pool when we bought the house. They seemed high to me which is why I asked for recommendations.

Reactions: Jimrahbe
Run the pump as slow as you can while still allowing the SWG to generate chlorine.
Set a second speed to skim the surface if the lower SWG speed is insufficient for good skimming. This can even be more than once daily for say an hour or less each time.
Maybe set a third speed if you have suction side cleaner, so it runs efficiently. Might only be a few hours to clean the pool.

Most possibly, the longest run time is that required for the SWG to generate the necessary chlorine.
Only you will know what is needed by experimenting with your runtimes.
I have a cleaner but I only run it weekly. What is a good speed to start out to see if the chlorine generation is sufficient?

Start with a clean filter and note the filter pressure with the pump running at 3000rpm.

For the SWG, start at 1500rpm.
  • If the SWG Is generating, lower the rpm by 100 until the no flow light comes on, increase the rpm until the no flow light goes out. Add 200rpm to that speed to account for the filter getting dirty.
  • If the SWG is not generating, increase the rpm by 100 until the low flow light goes out. Add 200rpm to that speed to account for the filter getting dirty.
Monitor filter pressure weekly by running the pump briefly at 3000 rpm. Clean the filter when the pressure rises 25% above clean pressure. So, if clean filter pressure is 20psi, clean the filter when the pressure rises to 25psi. When running as a low rpm, don't be surprised to see a low filter pressure.

Start with a clean filter and note the filter pressure with the pump running at 3000rpm.

• If the SWG Is generating, lower the rpm by 100 until the no flow light comes on, increase the rpm until the no flow light goes out. Add 200rpm to that speed to account for the filter getting dirty.
  • If the SWG is not generating, increase the rpm by 100 until the low flow light goes out. Add 200rpm to that speed to account for the filter getting dirty.
Monitor filter pressure weekly by running the pump briefly at 3000 rpm. Clean the filter when the pressure rises 25% above clean pressure. So, if clean filter pressure is 20psi, clean the filter when the pressure rises to 25psi. When running as a low rpm, don't be surprised to see a low filter pressure.
I had the same question regarding SWG at low speed. My IC-40 flashes red and complains when I am running it at 1500. So I guess I cannot run it that low? Does it hurt the SWG? It runs a couple hours a day for spillway and cleaner, and there has been good chlorine levels 8-10 in the pool.

Today I tested the pump. I lowered the pump down to 1500 rpm without the No Flow light illuminating but at that speed there was no circulation in the skimmer basket. So I brought it back up to 1700rpm and there was flow although a little more bubbling at the returns. Also at that speed there was almost no pressure reading on the filter, it was down to almost zero. Before the test it read around 8.

At the lower speed I cannot run the waterfall. It needs about 2300rpm to run at full capacity which I guess it why it was set at 2450. But since I am not going to run except twice a day for a short time to prevent algae growth I guess it doesn't matter. Even at 1700rpm there does seem to be sufficient movement of the surface water.

I did this as an experiment since I won't have the chance to clean the filter until next week and I'll repeat this with a clean filter and see what the numbers say then.

If I decide to run the pump and the SWG 24/7 I'm guessing I can reduce the percentage quite low. As it is I can maintain chlorine in the 7-8 range with it set to 25 as long as I bump it up to 45 for a while after swimming.

I had the same question regarding SWG at low speed. My IC-40 flashes red and complains when I am running it at 1500. So I guess I cannot run it that low? Does it hurt the SWG? It runs a couple hours a day for spillway and cleaner, and there has been good chlorine levels 8-10 in the pool.
I found what I needed when searching the forum here. Thanks again to all that have shared knowledge in the past and support/maintain this website.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.