Pump selection

Steverino

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 18, 2009
Central PA
Seems like this is a popular topic! Our current pump is original to the pool, installed in 2009. Hayward Super Pump, single speed, 1 HP (1.1 SF), 240 volt. It has a 2" intake but it appears that the actual line from the pool is about 1.5". Same size return. We are running a Pool Pilot SWG and Goldline solar heat control. I don't have any complaints about performance or design.

Pump (or motor) has started getting louder in the past couple of weeks - a higher pitched "dry" sort of sound. I am guessing bearings are on their way out... I am figuring it probably makes sense to just change the whole thing given age. Do people often just change the motor?

If I'm gonna replace, I want to pick up efficiency. I can get a $350 rebate from our power company for a variable speed (Energy Star) pump. No rebates for 2-speeds.

I guess my two main questions are:

1. Do I just look for a similarly rated (HP) pump (whether VS or 2 speed)? Or is there some sort of "conversion" I need to do when considering changing speed type?

2. Given our use of the SWG and solar, does either VS or 2 speed offer better compatibility over the other type?

Thanks much for any guidance as I start this research project!

Thanks for the suggestion!

In my situation, the Pool Pilot SWG runs a schedule (and therefore controls the pump), with the solar heat as an override (if solar thinks it can make heat, it turns on the pump). With a VS pump like that Pentair, I'm assuming I would pick a speed setting (probably low-ish), adjust run-time longer to ensure SWG has enough time, and then whenever the SWG or solar switched the VS on, it would run at that speed selection. In other words, I wouldn't be using the various speed programs that the pump controller offers...

Sorry if this seems basic - just trying to wrap my brain around the combination...

-Oh, and I noticed today that the pump appears to be leaking a bit now. Maybe related to the increase in noise level.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.