Pump Seal Kit for Pak Fab Pump

I have the pictured pump and looking for a seal kit to have on hand.
Looks like there are a couple of options at inyopools. It is salt but was converted at some time in the past, if that matters for fit.
Choice 1
Choice 2
Which would be the best choice?

View attachment 515476
Given the age of the pump, I would go with the second. Despite being advertised a a "salt water" seal, I've not found there to be any difference in the life of a seal as all pools using chlorine are "salt water" to some extent. The salinity of a pool with a SWG is less than the salinity of tears or sweat.

Reactions: Woody007
Given the age of the pump, I would go with the second. Despite being advertised a a "salt water" seal, I've not found there to be any difference in the life of a seal as all pools using chlorine are "salt water" to some extent. The salinity of a pool with a SWG is less than the salinity of tears or sweat.
Thankyou for your help. I'm just looking to have spares on hand since my equipment has been around for a while and parts might be harder to get if I need them in a hurry.

Thankyou for your help. I'm just looking to have spares on hand since my equipment has been around for a while and parts might be harder to get if I need them in a hurry.
The kit will usually have more parts than your pump will need. So, if you ever do use it don't worry about the extras. You would use the shaft seal, the sealplate O ring, the diffuser O ring, and the pump-lid O ring.

In my opinion, the regular seal is junk and not worth using.

The cheap seal has a plastic primary ring, which is the part that pushes against the ceramic seat.

The better seal has a carbon primary ring and it will last much longer.

The salt rating means basically nothing as the salt is not going to affect the life of the seal very much if at all.

If the pump ever runs dry, the plastic ring will usually melt and fail, but the carbon ring is much less likely to fail from a short period of running dry.

Given the cost of failure, the upgraded seal is a much better choice in my opinion.

You might even consider the silicon carbide seal.

1689870620054.png

A pump running at 3,450 rpm turns 4,968,000 times per day or 1,813,320,000 times per year running continuously, so that is a lot of wear and tear from friction.

The plastic ring is simply going to wear out and fail and then the pump will leak and spray water into the bearings causing the bearings to fail and now you're buying a new pump.

In my opinion, the regular seal is junk and not worth using.

The cheap seal has a plastic primary ring, which is the part that pushes against the ceramic seat.

The better seal has a carbon primary ring and it will last much longer.

The salt rating means basically nothing as the salt is not going to affect the life of the seal very much if at all.

If the pump ever runs dry, the plastic ring will usually melt and fail, but the carbon ring is much less likely to fail from a short period of running dry.

Given the cost of failure, the upgraded seal is a much better choice in my opinion.

You might even consider the silicon carbide seal.

View attachment 515491
Thanks for the information. Would you have a link for these seals? I'm assuming that I would still need the o-rings from the other kit too?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.